Chris asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 months ago

Why do fat people blame genetics while they look at you with a beer or piece of pizza in their hand?

I find it sort of ironic how fat people will blame genetics on why they are fat while at the same time they are drinking beer and eating a poor diet. Along with refusing to exercise.

How can genetics cause a person to be fat if their lifestyle choices are unhealthy?

Let's look at the average human being who is willing to eat pizza and drink beer. The genetic portion comes into play based on how long their metabolism is set to function for. Some people have to work harder to burn off the that beer and pizza. However, consistent unhealthy lifestyle choices ultimately do not help regardless of genetic predisposition.

I think people will say its genetics because it seems to run in families but that happens because kids pick up their parents bad habits and become overweight because of it. 

Another reason is because they just don't want to admit that its their fault. 

• .

Quite a few fat people DON'T blame genetics. However, some do (so do some skinny people) because it's simply human nature to want to place the blame elsewhere for ones own shortcomings. It's that simple. If someone blames their genes for their weight or blames some other person for their lying/cheating, they don't have to face the fact that their problem is of their own creation, which then also means they are responsible for changing their behavior to correct it.

.

Why do so many people make gross generalizations when quite often they aren't true. I've been obese, average, and slim. At EVERY weight I knew exactly why I was that weight...it was because of what I was or was not eating (and how active I was or was not, at that time). A LOT of people understand that their weight is due to their lifestyle.