Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Can scientists still feel love?

Or does the fact that they know it’s only dopamine and a primitive method by which animals are coerced to reproduce mean that they don’t feel it? Since it’s emotional and not logical?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Sure.  I love my wife of 25 years. 

Oh, you are incorrect, by the way.  We don't know that love is ONLY due to dopamine. 

We do not have a full circuitry map of the brain.  We don't know how neurons fire in a way to cause thoughts.  Since we do not know what it is about neural pathways that gives us feelings of "love" we cannot characterize it in the way you said.  There is more to it than that, and the details are unknown.

• 2 months ago

Yes, there are millions of theist scientists.

• Paul
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

One's personal feelings are not affected by one's profession.

born again Christian pathobiologist

• 2 months ago

We still feel it of course.

Understanding how the brain and various neurotransmitters create the feeling doesn't suddenly end the feelings.

To end the emotion of love, you need to damage the brain regions that generate it or neutralize the neurotransmitters with a blocker like an SSRI.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tommy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You seem to be confusing scientists with the Vulcans from Star Trek.

• 2 months ago

Just because you have a logical explaination for it doesn't mean love feels any less powerful or pleasant to experience.

Source(s): My brother is a scientist, I'm pretty sure he has feelings
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

1 John 4:10 jw.org

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

absolute horse piss.............................

• Mack
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, just because you know pain is just a signal doesn't mean pain doesn't hurt.

• They know that ALL emotions are caused by chemical arrangements. Happiness, sadness, anger, these are all a product of chemicals in the brain. "Love" in itself is not an emotion, it's a mix of different thoughts and feelings that we give the singular label of "love". And yes, they can still feel it. As much as I'd love to never feel sad again, knowing it's just chemicals, I will still feel it because it's beyond my control.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.