Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

How can son of concubine become a Prince in Ottoman Empire? ?

Anyone who knows about Turkish history? I’m watching Turkish drama on tv about Ottoman Empire. The Sultan had many sons with many concubines to whom he was not married. Isn’t the child illegitimate? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

By getting the Janissary Corps in his pocket and wiping out his more legitimate brothers. For like 200 years the Janissary's largely ran the show, they could make or break a Sultan. Which is why in 1826 the Sultan at the time wiped out the Janissary Corps. 

Source(s): B.A. in History, courses in the History of the Middle East, and the Modern Middle East
  • 2 months ago

It can be done. William I (c. 1028 – 9 September 1087), usually known as William the Conqueror and sometimes William the Bastard, was the first Norman King of England, reigning from 1066 until his death in 1087. William was the son of the unmarried Robert I, Duke of Normandy, by his mistress Herleva. His illegitimate status and his youth caused some difficulties for him after he succeeded his father.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If the son was strongly favored, legitimacy didn't matter .

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Did your drama get to the point where sons of the Sultan were strangled if there was too many of them to sort out.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

< Isn’t the child illegitimate?  >

Don't make the assumption that all societies and cultures are the same.

• 2 months ago

There were times in various monarchies where you had issues with the "oldest son".  Sometimes there was no son, and you had to choose a different relative, or a daughter would take over, etc.  Then you have those cases where the illigitimate kid is the strongest candidate, or has the most support, or he just kills his way onto the throne.  Usually the guy with the best claim is the guy who has the military on his side!

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I guess gender (males) counted more than legitimacy. that kind of goes out the window anyway when the guy has "many concubines" doesn't it? 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.