Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Is this a gas line pipe? ?

I smell gas behind my electric stove. Is this an old gas line, or something else?

Should I be concerned about the smell? It was very faint and I only smelled it like two or three times. Should I call someone to check it? Who would I call?

Thanks for the answers. Someone, possibly as previous owner, tried to cap it by using masking tape. I never paid much attention to it before. It was a gas leak and the gas company repaired it for me right away.

Favorite Answer

It looks like a gas pipe and someone tried to stop a leak by wrapping an old plastic bag around a valve or a tee. Make up some soapy water and brush it all over all of the pipe and look for bubbles. If you smell gas and can't find the leak, call you gas company. They have ways to find it.  It could be that the leak is in some pipe in a difficult place to fix and it will require some work to fix it, but chances are, it is located at the plastic bag. Even a slight smell is a lot of loss gas over time.  That someone is buying.

Call the gas company immediately. 

• hart

Gas creates a Brain Damage be careful ventilate your living aria

Call the gas company if you smell a leak. They’ll find and fix it without blowing up your place. 

if you have a landlord, this is landlord's problem.  and landlord's expense to  make right.  it shouldn't be too difficult to get landlord's attention -- "I think I smell gas and if that's true, your place might blow up at any time"

Not a gas line I recognize.  Unwrap the paper on the top.  If wires come out of the pipe then it is wiring concuit.  A proper gas pipe would have a CAP screwed on tight.  Heavy duty black pipe and not something that has been cast.  This is a cast pipe so not something the gas company would EVER USE.  I zoomed in but I can't take off the paper garbage on the top to see better.  The wrapping is not stopping the gas so tear it off.  She has to be NAKED.  Then if you can go downstairs, see where it comes out & goes to.  

As the gas guys do not come for free. Not even if you serve tea and cookies.

• Writers Block

They came out for free amd fixed it for free as well

• audrey

Yes. Call the gas company now. If you can't get an immediate response, call the fire department before your apartment blows up.

• y

It does look like a gas line, I have no idea why it is all wrapped up. If you smelled gas, you should be placing a call. now.

That looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

That looks remarkably like a gas line. Call a gas man.

Yes, that is a gas line.