Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Dealing with naggy parents?

I have parents who like to nag me constantly about everything. Since I don't have a job, and don't have anywhere else to go, I've put up with their daily nagging for the last year since I graduated High school. I have no plans of going to school further, and right now have been actively seeking employment for the last month. In that span of time I've applied to over 7 jobs in my local area, and a few temp agencies. 

So far, none of them have gotten back to me. For some reason, my parents think I'm making it look like I'm looking for a job, but not actually trying hard enough. I've gone to the local stores in my area, and they all say the same thing, which is to apply online. What would be a good way to land a job and get my parents to finally stop nagging me, like a job is going to magically fall out of the sky?

Update:

To the person named P in the answers section, I think you misunderstand me. There aren't many jobs in my area, let alone jobs I can do, as I have 0 job experience. And for reference, these 7 jobs ranged from retail, maintenance, fast-food, etc., etc. So I don't have a problem with signing up to multiple different jobs. Lastly, if you couldn't tell the plan was already to get a job and move out. So please, no more redundant advice.

Update 2:

I understand my shortcomings for not finding a job sooner, but to be honest that wasn't the biggest priority in my life for the last year. I have already been lectured enough by my parents, all I'm looking for are other options to land a job quickly. I have already noted to start using Indeed.

Update 3:

YES, I understand that I graduated a year ago, no need to remind me. It's not like I've been a couch potato for the last year, I've been working on ways to make money other than working a 9-5 job. I don't want to go into detail about what I was doing for a year, but just know it definitely wasn't sitting on my *** playing games daily. With that being said, I'd like to end my last update by saying that I received the advice, and will start applying to more jobs immediately. Thanks

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The best way to land a job is to have some tangible skills to offer. You say you're not interested in more school but without at least a vocational certificate you're never going to be able to support yourself. The job market offers very little to those with just a high school diploma anymore.

• 1 month ago

You could start volunteering at some place, that way you could put something in your resume and make contacts. It'd also help to give you some experience so potential employers know you are reliable.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

maybe you can create your own job, theres grants out there for opening up your own business

• 1 month ago

So your a spoiled brat who does nothing all day and refuses to work, refuses to move out and leeches off mommy and daddy and whine about how they 'nagg' at you for being lazy

I would have drop kicked you out a long time back 

You need to apply for way, way more jobs but you won't since you rather leech off mommy and daddy 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You graduated a year ago and you have no job but you're worried about your parents nagging at you? Ummm child anyways, I would recommend applying for jobs a little outside of your area. Applying for just 7 jobs in the last month is not doing your hardest, I believe you can do more than that. Apply to as many jobs as you can whether it's in your town, or the next town over. That's pretty much what I can say. Good luck!

• g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Apply online, as you were told. Only small business take walk in resumes and job applicants now. Any chains are going to require online applications.

Eta - so you graduated last year, but getting a job wasn't your biggest priority ... What was your priority then? No mention of college or tech school - what was your plan?

• 1 month ago

Applying for 7 jobs in a month isn't exactly doing everything you can to get employed. That's basically one every four days. What are you doing the other three? You graduated a year ago and have just started half-heartedly looking for a job last month. No wonder they're on your case! If you were a parent of such a slacker you'd be upset too!

• P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Reality check!   You should be applying for 7 jobs a day, not in a month.  Your parents are doing exactly what they should be doing.   The best way to deal with nagging parents is to get a job and move out.   If you think it's bad now it will get much worse.  Go on indeed and start applying.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.