Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 8 months ago

How do you use a compound microscope properly?

I'm trying to observe my sperm under a microscope, but I just can't see it! I'm wondering could it be that the slides are poor quality and I'm only seeing dirt and scratches on the slide? I am smearing it thinly on the slide and I even diluted it with water (as someone told me to do this) but still, I can't see anything.

Or could it be that I don't have any sperm at all? This is what frustrates me. I can't see it but I don't know if it's because I don't have any or I'm just not doing it right.

• MARK

There are lots of potential problems and unless I was there to see what you are doing I can only make a wild guess. I presume you are on a course. When you are in a laboratory practical there should be demonstrators to help you. The best thing to do is to ask one of them for help. Obviously, it is as important to prepare the microscope slide well as it is to have good microscope technique.

Can the microscope see from the microscopical level?