=) asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How soon after landing a new job should I move out?

Might sound like a silly question, but hear me out. I’m 25 years old and I currently live in my parents’ home. Originally, I had plans to move out earlier this year. I got a new job in January and my plan was to first save at least a couple of months worth of expenses just in case of an emergency, and to pay down 1 of my 8 student loans. I reached my goals and was even touring apartments. Then, in late June, I got laid off :(

So I’ve been looking for a job for the past 6 months. And during these 6 months, my parents have been annoying me. They still treat me as if I’m a child and I don’t have any privacy. I feel like a teenager. I can’t even ask them about moving out - my mom would say something like “moving out?!? Where are you going? You’re still my baby.” She’s joking around, but she still doesn’t answer my questions. My dad, who got laid off earlier this year, has turned in to a demanding madman. Then they’re other issues with the house, such as mice and other infestations (I proposed to pay for an exterminator, but parents refuse), lack of heat, messiness, etc etc...

As a result of all of this, I want to move out ASAP. I already have some savings left, and I’ve been purchasing apartment goods throughout the year. 

Should I move out ASAP or wait a few months? I know brokers do ask for proof of income, so I’m taking that into consideration.

Sorry might sound confusing - I got a new job in January 2019 of this year.

Also I’m on the last stages of a couple of interviews, so I believe I’ll get a job by January 🤗

You have to figure this out for yourself. Do whatever you're able to do right now.

In most cases you would have to prove income and successfully pass a credit check to get into a rental lease. So you may just have to wait until your finances are in a better place to move out. Eight student loans is no joke and some landlords would look at all the debt as a sign that you won't be able to afford your rent.

Personally I'd look into sharing an apartment w a roomate if you want to move out but can't afford to move on your own.

The infestation and messiness sound like your parents have untreated mental issues, you could pay for an exterminator some day they aren't at home but that wont solve the issue and probably everything will go back to where it was. What if you contact adult services to get them some help?

whenever you want to and can afford it

Remind mum that you are her son but not her baby.  Also remind her that you are well old enough to be living on your own but you must also remember that moving home is very expensive.  Unless your parents can equip a flat for you you will be horrified at just how much everything costs, furniture, bedding, towels, cooking equipment, carpets etc. If you do this then be prepared to settle for most things being second hand.  You can get bargains that way and older things are, often, far better quality (made when quality really mattered, than new things are.  I moved out at age 18, returning for holidays, and then moved much further away at age 22.  Best thing I ever did.

• Tj

First, you need to have a job, and to save up again. But if you can stand it, stay home and get rid of your debt. Why struggle with money worries?

You should move out when you feel it's a good time or if your parents need you to move out. You could at least offer a small amount for rent to help mom & dad for all the help they have provided. It's not a bad idea to stay until a few, or all, of your student loans are paid off.

Now. Now. Now. Now.

• martin

You should have a good job before you move out. You still have student loan payments on top of what your rent and utilities will cost you at an apartment.

• =)1 month agoReport

Yup I’m fully aware. And there’s no way I’ll get rid of my student loans anytime soon. Though I can refinance them so I can make smaller payments.