Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 4 months ago

I told my employer I want to resign and he told me I owe him money and wants me to repay him ASAP?

So I've been working at this shop part time for almost two years. I recently told my employer I wanted to quit and he told me I still owed him money. This money is what he gave me voluntarily a few months ago because during one month I couldn't work enough contract hours. Does he have the right to get me to repay him? Please help.

A loan has to be repaid. You owe him till the debt is paid off. You don't have to be working for him, but you do owe the money. He can take you to court over it.

If he wrote you a company check and it was earmarked "loan" or "advance", you owe him the money. 

Normally employers will deduct the advance in full (or in agreed upon payments) from the employee's pay.   It's odd that he hasn't done that.

Make sure you pay him back through payroll deduction or you'll end up paying more tax than you should.

• Amelie4 months agoReport

I do plan on repaying him. But at the time he said the pay was 'unentitled' annual leave

If he advanced you money in good faith that you have not worked off or paid back then you still owe it to him yes.

• Maxi

If you owe your employer money regardless of if you remain or leave you still have to pay the money......however he can't stop you leaving, just do it the correct way, in writing with the legal notice period

Loans are loans. That was a bad move on your part.

Get a record of what you borrowed, the interest, and the amount repaid so far. If he refuses to show you that, take him to court.

In other words Amelie, your employer gave you an advance on some salary to help you out.

Did your employer tell you that it was a gift?

You are required to repay him.

• Amelie4 months agoReport

Back then I told him I would repay him as soon as I could and he told me the sum of money isn't' important to him as it's not a lot, as long as I stay and work for him until May 2019 I won't need to repay him. Not only did I stay and work for him until then, but I stayed an extra 7 months. 

Was it income? Did you claim in on your taxes? How much money was it?

• Lafawnduh

Your employer can't take your paycheck or bonus pay back from you.  Sounds more like you're an asset to your boss, and they don't want you to leave.  Your boss didn't handle the news too well.  It has also happened to me at a past job, very unfortunate.