So I accidentally reversed into someone, I went to pull over, however they drove off. Am I still liable even though they drove off?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Yes, you're still liable.   They have quite a bit of time to come after you for it, like years in most states.  However, if they took off, they're not likely to file a claim against you. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Liable to who?  They drove off and didn't come back, remember?  

• Edna
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

How did you "accidently" shift into reverse and back into someone?  It takes a conscious effort to shift into reverse - you can't do it "accidentally".

You backed into them, so you would be liable for any damage.  But, from what you said, you probably just "bumped" them. It didn't do any damage to their car and they didn't want to fool with it, so they drove away. 

Forget about it this time; but, in the future, look and be sure there's nothing behind you before you begin backing up. 

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

So, chase after them and hit them again like T bone the car so it can't drive off as the driver is now bleeding and damaged.  Go over to the car and take their drugs and money and now #uck off.  You got the cash & drugs and they stayed behind...and did not pursue you.DON'T YOU WATCH TV?  THIS what they always do(unless they pull out their 357 Magnum....then there is some gun play.  Fun, fun, fun.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

TROLL ALERT (This story is different from the story she tells in another question)

SO, forget about it. Odds are, they're an illegal with no drivers license or insurance and they don't want to be caught, or maybe they have warrants. 

SO, If THEY don't care, YOU don't care.

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Person you hit has much bigger problems than you caused, and desperately wants to avoid attracting attention of legal authorities. Probably has no license, or the car was stolen, or the car is full of drugs.

Best bet? Forget that it happened.

• May
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

So....Are you serious? So of course you are still liable.

So how could driving off erase what you did ? So

The "SO" generation. They have no clue

• Chiaro
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

Yes, I think so, but how will they ever contact your insurance agency?

• 7 months ago

i wouldn't think so cuz its like what can u do?

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

I expect they were driving illegally. As they drove off forget about it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.