Erik asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

That Costco employee won't stop FORCING me into upgrading into the Executive membership!!?

OH MY GOD! I already wrote on my card" NO EXECUTIVE MEMEMSHIP PLEASE!" and some cashiers still doesn't get the hint and dare to bug me about the freaking memebership. And i am really tired of explaining my situation in front of everyone waiting in the line that i don't want to because once i sign up for the Executive membership then yall want me to sign up for the credit card, and i have a bad credit because was the cosigner of my bother's car loan and he didn't pay the loan so now my credit is BAD. I don't wanna say all this in front of strangers. Like omg what should i do?? I'm asian can i just pretend i don't speak english? will that be too rude? or should i just pretend i am deaf? can someone please teach me a POLITE but FIRM way of of saying no? Better yet a polite way of saying " B**ch, listen, if u don't shut the F up now i will beat u up cuz i'm about to get violent!"

Every time it's like i keep saying " it's not for me, i'll pass, but thank you." then they will drag me into a counter to show me how much i spend. blah blah blah.

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

Be assertive!  Just say, "No, thank you," and ask that they simply ring up your purchases as you're in a hurry.  Don't get 'dragged' anywhere.  Just don't go with them.

• Edna

If the cashier asks you to upgrade your membership, just say "no" or "not interested" and let it go at that. Many times, cashiers are offered a bonus for everyone new that they can sign up; so (from the cashier's point of view), it doesn't hurt to ask. 

Go to a diff costco

just tell them youre not interested

"Not today, I'm in a hurry."  Anything else they say, same answer.

Most places, the cashiers are required to ask that question, and do the whole follow-up if you don't cut them off.  They get in trouble if they don't.  If it helps, s/he's probably even more sick of asking people than you are of being asked.

Instead of 'in a hurry,' you can try "I've heard the whole pitch, please skip it."  I've had some success with that.

• RP

If a simple, "no thank you", doesn't work, get over it.

• JJ

Just politely decline the executive membership

• Cara

Just say "No, thank you" and don't allow yourself to be dragged away and bullied.

go somewhere else

• audrey

Shop somewhere else.