Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 10 months ago

What’s that spinning pipe called in a drivetrain? ?

Hi all, my mum’s spare car is a 2002 BMW AWD or 4WD X5 that’s been making this very loud grinding noise whenever the transmission is moved from park. My cousin said something about a driveshaft being the issue and was wondering if that’s the one that spins to deliver power to a differential. 

This car was already having issues with its steering being very stiff when you put the wheels on full lock and the steering wheel shaking violently whenever the car goes over 80 km/h. 

How much will this cost to rebuild the driveshaft or replace the driveshaft

Update:

If it helps at all, my dad is kind of an abusive driver who likes to accelerate to the maximum legal speed limit from a standstill point and to go over bumps and curbs at high speeds.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago
    Favourite answer

The FWD part is called the front CV half shaft when calling the parts stores. The part will almost always be different on the right and left so they will need that info. There is also a rear drive shaft with U joints that connects to the (AWD) viscus coupler at the transfer case and goes to the rear differential. If it's an AWD model, your problem may be the rear drive shaft viscus coupler has lost it's fluid and is grinding away on the inside.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Prop shaft and transmits the power from the engine to the rear axle to drive the wheels via a differential.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

In the UK it's called the propeller shaft or 'prop shaft' for short.

• 10 months ago

It is called a driveshaft. The shaft itself requires very little to no maintenance. However, the u-joints at both ends DO require maintenance (lube or grease) and these do fail. When a u-joints fails (break) the driveshaft can fall out place and fall down, if the u-joint is worn, it can make a 'clunk' noise when shifting or changing gears.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.