Older car, but with low mileage?

I know there are a lot of factors that go into finding a "new" used car. Im just wondering what the general opinion is on this. Is it better to go with a car that is more than 5 years old but with lower mileage (10k-50k) or to go with something made within the last 5 years or so, but with higher mileage (50k-80k)? (I wouldnt go much higher than 80k regardless of the year)

Logical...to compare an older v newer at same price point...but what will be the determining factor...idk, but it will be an emotional decision not a logical one.....what?

True...after the data,  comparing, and test driving it will come down to something like the way fender curves or the roar at 6500 rpm.  You’ll know it when you feel it. 

Good luck! 

If your objective is to save money, go with the older car with low mileage. However, regardless of what you buy, you should take the car to a mechanic to have it fully checked out BEFORE you buy. An older car can have hidden problems, but so can a newer car.

I would shop the older car with low mileage, owned by a senior citizen. They drive less, drive carefully, and usually take better care of their equipment. They have the time to go to the service department or repair shop.

the first option is more preferable

There are other factors, most specifically how much money you have and which one is better at your "wants".

I'd wouldn't have any problem going with a single owner, 100,000 mile, luxury car if it was 8-10 years old.  It might not have even met it's scheduled miles for it's first major maintenance.

But on the flip side, a 5yo low end car (Senta, Forte, Accent, etc) couldn't be cheap enough for me to want to buy used. 

newer often means less harmful highway miles. Older cars call into question the accuracy of the odometer and there are things that wear out from age, not miles.

The mileage guides give pretty good estimates for the deduction for high or addition for low miles.

• Sky

Personally I would go with the older car that has lower mileage, particularly if it's one that's in very good shape and has been driven gently (ie. owned by a senior citizen who always drove very carefully and didn't beat the thing up).  A few years ago I bought a 25 year old minivan that had under 100K miles, because I know that model can easily make it 300K miles.  Do your research about the particular car model and its specific engine and drivetrain (because for any given car with multiple options, one engine can be rock solid while another engine is total crap) so you know ahead of time whether it will last you a good long time or just be a money pit.