Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

Is Jerry Jones the worst owner/GM in the history of professional sports?

Yes, he stumbled into hiring Jimmy Johnson and managed to stay out of the way for a few years. But, since then he has been awful.

I get how someone might screw up and draft Quincy Carter 5 rounds higher than any other team had him but shouldn't anyone knowledgeable be able to see he wasn't an NFL QB by his 3rd or 4th game? Why did it take four years? 

Dave Campo? Wade Phillips? Barry Switzer???? Really? 

The problems on this year's team are pretty obvious. It baffles me that anyone can't see it let alone someone who is supposed to be the GM of the Dallas Cowboys. The team is not put together well and Jerry's negotiating skills are the worst I've ever seen.

The team is a train wreck and I doubt any coach could fix it with Jerry in the way. 

Well if he did not own the team he would have been fired years back

The team is valued at 5.5 billion, I don't think he cares. 

I think former NFL owners Robert Irsay and Art Modell and current owner of Washington Redskins Daniel Snyder and current owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates Bob Nutting top that list.

He is truly a moron.  Have you noticed he looks a lot like Joe Biden?  Both Biden and Jones are stupid clueless old idiots.

• Have you been paying attention to Professional Sports in New York City and New Jersey? I present The Owners of The Jets, The Giants, The Knicks, The Rangers, The Devils as examples of what not to do. You can look at The City of Washington, DC and point at The Washington Redskins and The Washington Wizards as examples of what not to do.

Have The Detroit Lions ever been to a Super Bowl to this point? No they haven't and the last NFL Championship The Lions won was in 1957. At least The Dallas Cowboys can say they won a Superbowl in 1995.

• The Toronto Maple Leafs are nothing to brag about and they are one of the richest teams in sports. Just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean ownership knows what they are doing.

Jones started off running his team the right way. He hired a football man who turned an NFC East bottom feeder into a legitimate playoff team. Thanks to Jimmy Johnson, Dallas won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years.

But Jones couldn't stand to see Johnson get the credit for the team's success and his ego drove him to force his good friend out.

4 years after driving Johnson away the Cowboys posted their first losing season in7 years. That 1997 began a stretch that saw the team post 5 losing seasons in 8 years and go 55-73 during that time.

Since Jones began making personnel decisions Dallas has won 1 Super Bowl, way back in 1995 with Jimmy Johnson's players, and they club has made the playoffs 8 times in 20 years.

Jones made thing worse by hiring his butt boy as head coach. Opie Garrett may be good on his knees under Jones' desk but he knows nothing about running a football team.

Of course, I'm not a Ghetto Boys fan so I hope they both keep up the good work.

No, there are a lot of worse owners but most aren't their own GM.

• Bob

No,  and he is not even the worst NFL owner either, that dubious distinction goes to Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder.He may be the worst owner/GM in sports but I would have to see a list of other owners that were also GM's like Jones is before I could say for sure.

Possibly not

Without a doubt...