Will a fingernail fall off from being injured over a month ago? ?

I smashed my thumb a month or so ago. Didn't think it was bad enough for the nail to fall off. But now my nail is starting to feel like there's a gap under it. Like it's starting to detach. is it still possible it might fall off? 

• Edna

It's very possible that your injured nail will gradually fall off. And then, a new nail will grow in to replace it. It might take several months before the new nail completely grows to the same length as your injured nail. 

• Joe

Anything is possible.

• My toe was run over For about a month it was just bruised, then it fell off. A year later it has not grown back.

It depends on what you did, if you merely hit your thumb hard, then I doubt it falls off. If there is some kind of infection underneath the nail bed, then yes it likely will fall off, a new nail would be forming underneath and the old one would fall off to replace it.

If it does not heal see your PCP

Yeah, it’s possible it could fall off.

• Joe

Yes, that's certainly possible.  There's new nail growing underneath; the old nail is protecting the nail bed in the meantime.  It will fall off when it's ready: don't pull at it.

It might be good to protect it while it's protecting the nail bed.

Thumb nails grow slowly.  It will be several months to a year before you have a normal-looking thumbnail again.  But it will heal.

anything is possible,you could try seeing your doctor about it

It may, but the nail should grow back if the injured part falls off, as long as the root was undamaged.

For the present, keep the nail bandaged to your finger so that it doesn't get ripped off by accident.