Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 8 months ago

Can assignments that have nothing to with the class/curriculum be worth a grade?

Just to provide further clarification, I mean like a Spanish class, for example, forcing you to bring in food for an actual assignment, not just as extra credit. I’m asking this because I’m in a similar situation as the one above and I don’t want to do something that is unnecessary and unhelpful when finals are coming up.

• MS

You can certainly file an official complaint if you feel that strongly about it, but professors are given the freedom to choose the assignments that they want to use in their classes.  Your complaint probably wouldn't go anywhere because there is nothing inherently inappropriate about that type of assignment.   If you have a legitimate reason why you cannot do what is asked, then talk to the professor about it and see if there is an alternative. 

It could be educational if you talked about the food in Spanish.