Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 8 months ago

Is it a southern thing, to call a bedroom suite a "suit?"?

Whenever I hear it, it makes me cringe - like chalk on a chalkboard. Lol...

Thank you.

(A bedroom suite of furniture).

I don't think so. It's an 'I don't know how to pronounce that word' thing. That can happen anywhere.

• VAA

The words have different meanings...a bedroom suite refers to a suite of rooms with an adjoining bath, a noun...the word suit is used to refer to a group of bedroom furniture.  

It's a regional thing, sure.

I cringe whenever I hear northerners say they're standing on line. I glance down to see if a line is painted on the ground, and there never is.

it might be for some people

Yeah, that bothers me too.  It REALLY irked me when I asked a girl I was dating once if she liked classical music, and she said yes, she especially loved the Nutcracker Suit.

But an in-law of mine from Texas, the only one in the family to go to college, pointed out to me that the word 'suit' (like a suit of clothes) IS a suite--a matched set of garments, coat, pants, vest.