Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

My GF is not vegan anymore ?

My gf and I been together for 5 years and shortly after we started dating we decided to make a lifestyle change and become vegan together. Fast forward 5 years later she told me she doesn’t want to be vegan anymore but I’m 100% invested in this lifestyle due to spiritual and having compassion for animals and the way their treated in the factories. When I have kids I want them to be vegan so it’s hard for me to be with someone who doesn’t share the same views anymore, i love her so much I would die for her. What should I do?

• Jane

You haven't said anything about why she has changed her mind- I imagine it must be something important so if you haven't discussed it then you should do so asap. Poor communication in a partnership is an equal cause of break ups to lack of shared ideals.I appreciate you are upset by her decision, and perhaps anxious about the future- so talk!

I would also suggest that you may be able to agree some compromises:

1. Eat vegan at home and together, she can eat non-vegan when she is out or not with you.

2. If she does eat meat products,eggs, dairy etc she only eats products such as organic free range, where animal welfare is a high priority ( not intensively raised).

You may find that such compromises may work for children you may have together- having such a major difference around the kids will definitely cause a major issue between you.

good for her. She's no longer a sickly, weak vegan. Its good that she doesn't want to rise kids who will be malnourished, weak, sickly, small brained and likely won't live and wants to feed them proper meat and dairy diet that humans need

Kids should never, ever be vegan. Its stupid you want to brainwash them 

Personally I would dump her. Nothing against her but animal rights, good health, and not supporting the meat and dairy industries are important things to value. It's hard to have a partner who doesn't share those values and ethics. In addition it will be impossible to raise your kids the way you want staying with her. Also, I agree with the other answerer in saying there are plenty of beautiful vegan girls out there.

• Janet

She has the right to stop being a vegan. Just as you have the right to be a vegan.

If you are so compassionate, how about some compassion for HER?

People change.

If you cannot accept her change, then you will end up losing her. If she is worth keeping, the "price" of that will be accepting that she is no longer a vegan.

• Daisy

I'd suggest that you have a serious discussion about your future.

I don't see how you can live together if you have such strong feelings about veganism. Breaking bread is much more than just nutrition. It's where many families come together to bond, to discuss their day, etc. If It's a fight about food, clothing, supplements, morals, etc, instead.....

Frankly, I think you both would be better off to split up before kids are a factor. Good luck.

If you love her "so much that you'd die for her" then you'll learn  to live with her not being a vegan. Its pretty simple. 

Diet is a personal choice - vegetarian or omnivorous or others. There is no law to stop a person who becomes a vegetarian or vegan from reverting to an omnivorous diet if they find the veggie diet and lifestyle do not suit them. Many do so, it appears from your Q that you are quite young, and there is a good chance you will eat non-vegan food by the time you are 30.

The only time diet is anything other than a personal choice is where there is a medical reason to follow a certain diet; for example low-sugar diets for diabetes or for obesity.and diets 

Go enjoy and nice steak and lobster, and think about it.

• Louis

Its up to you. but since you asked for advice.....

You should dump her. 

Have you seen how many pretty vegan girls are out there? 

I think you should be able to find a new vegan girlfriend pretty quick. 

Consider you lucky that she let you know just after 5 years. Imagine how much worse it would have been in 10. 

• Well I am... I was vegan for almost 4 years. I don't care if you dont believe me but the statistics and testimonials suggest it doesn't work for everyone. Obviously you won't admit it because your whole superiority complex would crumble.

she has a right not to be one if she dont want to