How do I know if I am part Jewish or not ?

I did an Ancesty.com dna test and it said I am 2 percent " Middle East"

A Jewish friend asked if I am part Jewish perhaps, but I said I dont know for sure.Can't Ancestry.com pick Arab from Jewish dna ?

"Arab" refers to language origins and has no DNA signature. "Jewish" is a religion and has no DNA signature. The people of western Asia are very closely related and DNA just gives a broad picture.

• Zirp

Can't Ancestry.com pick Arab from Jewish dna ?

No it can't. Ethnicity and religion are not determined by DNA

No, it can't. There is only one identifiable Jewish DNA - Ashkenazi. Most American Jews are descended from Ashkenazi tribes.They are not Middle Eastern DNA (ISrael) but European in origin.

A person practicing the Judaism religion is Jewish.

So you can see how a DNA test is useless for making this determination.

• reme_1

if your mother was Jewish, you are Jewish.

Yes, Ancestry can tell the difference between Jew and Arab. The test will say "Jewish" if you are Jewish because the "Jewish" DNA is unique to the Turkic people, specifically to a group of people known as the Khazars. So, you are probably descendant of an Arabic person, no need to worry.