Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

How do I get my son's fiancé to stop being difficult?

My son is engaged. However, his fiancé is being very difficult. Every time I make a suggestion, she rejects it. I showed her a few dresses I like and she said no to them all. I told her dates that would be good for me. She choose a different date. Showed her venues I like. Nope. Different venue. 

She was like this too when she was pregnant. She wouldn’t listen to any of my baby names.

My son never stands up to her. He lets her walk all over him. How do I get him to stand up to her? My son would happily take some of my suggestions if it weren’t for her.

You keep saying I’m being difficult and that I should mind my own business. But it’s as much my day as it is her’s. It’s my son’s wedding. I gave birth to him. Therefore, it’s a celebration for me as well as them. It wouldn’t be happening at all if I hadn’t given birth to him.

One wonders if your mother-in-law named your babies or picked your wedding dress. This person is going to be in your life whether she marries your son or not because apparently they share a child together. So you can position yourself as the "monster-in-law" she avoids for the rest of your life... Or you can back off and let them do as they please. The dress she wears to her own wedding can't possibly have any lasting effect on your life. You apparently raised a son who's a bit of a wimp and you're just upset that now she'll be browbeating him instead of you browbeating him. You are why "evil mother-in-law" tropes exist.

It s her wedding. Be supportive. Unless you are paying for it

It is not 'your day'  as much as hers?  Right there,  that statement sends up red flags and I bet if we knew the entire story then the equation looks different.  Essentially,  she is tired of the micromanaging. SO,  you asked us.   My take is that you are pushy and you do not like her pushing back.  There are more red flags but the others are just too much.  Be well and blessings.

• Ocimom

YOU need to butt out and butt out NOW.  Its NOT about you at all.  Keep your mouth shut, don't offer any thing more about the wedding.  Its HER wedding, not yours!

this is very easy, I told my kids u go to school (college) I'll

get you a car not new what I can afford, plus some money in your pocket, you don't go to school you pay rent 

she sounds like a narcissist

Oh stop being a brat. It's not about her being difficult you're just mad because you can't control your son anymore. You gave SUGGESTIONS and OPINIONS those things can be helpful yes but they didn't agree to take them nor do they have to. Also your son is engaged now he's naturally gonna go with what his woman wants. If anyone is being difficult it's you. You're trying to get that old dynamic back between you and your son and it's not gonna happen because that's an old way of thinking and he's clearly not gonna bring that back. He's a grown man now and his fiance isn't walking all over him he's probably used to her being so strong minded and strong willed. Remind you of anyone? yeah that's you in a nutshell. 

• Ann

Well, it sounds as if you're a little late in not wanting her around.  She already has a baby.  As sad as it is for you, what she and your son do at this point is not your call.  Buy your own dress for their wedding and don't try to give any "advice".  The horse is already out of the barn. 

Why didn't you tell him to not be messing around with her a long time ago? I'll bet you did and he wouldn't listen then. You better step aside and shut up if you want to be seeing that grandbaby.

• Best answer here because it speaks of your grandchild, and this person is absolutely CORRECT!

You can't control other people. Why are you trying to control a wedding that you have no control over?

You wait until she ASKS FOR ADVICE, then you offer your advice.