Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 10 months ago

Would you join this league with this system? Is it bad?

I was trying to speak to commissioner of a league I've been apart of for years about changing the scoring. And even the playoff seeding. I've been with this league five years now, with moderate success. He actually got offended. And became emotional. I told him there is no way 3 tackles from a defensive player should be equal to a QB throwing throwing for 300 yds. It makes the QB almost non essential. There were some other things, too. I told him the seeding should go from 8 seeded playoff format to six. Needless to say, this may be my last year in this league. What do you all think of the scoring system?

Passing Yards 50 yards per point

Passing Touchdowns 4

Interceptions -2

Rushing Yards 20 yards per point

Rushing Touchdowns 6

Receptions 1

Receiving Yards 20 yards per point

Receiving Touchdowns 6

Return Touchdowns 6

2-Point Conversions 2

Fumbles Lost -2

Offensive Fumble Return TD 6

Kickers League Value

Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3

Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3

Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3

Field Goals 40-49 Yards 0

Field Goals 50+ Yards 5

Point After Attempt Made 1

Defensive Players 

Tackle Solo 1

Sack 3

Interception 3

Fumble Recovery 2

Defensive Touchdown 6

Safety 2

Extra Point Returned 2

For starters you contradict yourself - this chart says passing is 1 point per 50 yards, which would mean 300 yards is 6 points

It also says a solo tackle is one point, which would make 3 tackles worth 3 points.

This looks like a relatively normal scoring chart with 2 major changes:

1. All the yardage based scores are cut in half, so passing is 50 instead of 25 yards, rushing/receiving is 20 yards instead of 10. Essentially this makes the yardage less valuable, and skews the results toward favoring players who actually produce TD's.

I can understand how someone would want to do this with the scoring, after all, in real football you score by getting the ball in the endzone, not by racking up huge yardage totals. I personally don't like it, but at least I can understand what would make someone do this. 

2. For some unexplained reason FG's between 40-49 yards are worth nothing. That's just silly.

I don't see why this has to be your last year in the league. You should be able to speak to a friend about fantasy football league without having a breakup. If you enjoy playing and its a group of friends then just put up with the scoring and have fun. If its a group you barely know and you aren't having fun, then don't participate next year.

3 tackles from a player is 3 points according to this.

A QB throwing for 300 yards is 6 points.

But if you want out, get out.  Comments were already made... I thought a FG of 40-49 yards wasn't really zero points.  But maybe it is, because you'd have changed it otherwise...