b asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 8 months ago

what to do if your friend stops smoking?

my friend and i used to smoke weed all the time and i thought she liked it as much as i did, but she told me a few days ago she was quitting. this really made me upset bc i loved smoking w her and now i’m going to have to alone. she may even judge me for doing it, which sucks. i’m really torn, but ofc id pick her over weed any day. i feel horrible i don’t feel the same bc were usually on the same level about things like that. 

I am not smoking anymore, or at least not for a long time. I realized I should be focused on other things, not to get stoned all the time. Thank you everyone for replying! 

• WUWR

Doesn't sound like she's asking you to stop, or saying that you should feel bad because you do it. She's just quitting. For me, it was that the effect of it started to change and made me more paranoid and heady. I just stopped having fun because I wasn't reacting the same. Some people quit for money. Some for health. Some just to clear up. Doesn't mean they're going to judge you for it, much more often than not it's just a person making a choice for themselves.

That said, the one thing to keep an eye on is if you're always stoned when she's around and she isn't that may become a problem. It might not, but it might and it's something to have a dialog, or even a periodic dialog about. Really though just do you and let her do her. I mean, you're the same people. I quit smoking a long time ago and it didn't change any of my friendships with my friends who did. They still smoked and I still hung out with them and it was more or less the same. If you feel weird about it, just talk to her. Ask her if it's going to bug her that you still do. Ask her to tell you if it starts to bother her. Just talk about stuff if it's concerning you and know that good friends respect each other's wishes and make compromises. That's all you can do, really.

what a sad depressing life you lead if you are upset that your friend is quitting smoking and now you'll be alone smoking. christ...

• Helen

It's odd that her decision makes you feel threatened. Is that all your friendship is based on? Smoking?

You have that low opinion of her to think she would judge you? For something she used to do herself?

Just be honest with yourself. She validated your bad choices. Now she's making an effort to better herself and you don't like it. You want to keep her dragged down with you.

I thought smoking was bad? its good,That she quit but, I dont think she is judging you for it. I think she just purely cares for you but then she can properly expresse that to you,but then you could tell her that you're fine and that its your desicion to smoke. You can just not do it by her or just find a new buddy to smoke with and still be friends.like smoke like mutual friends but another thing is how did she just quit like that?

Talk to her about your feelings and thoughts. Accept her decision. I believe you with eventually part ways. That’s life. Cheer up.

So, maybe your friendship will change. It doesn't have to be for the worse.

Nothing.  Your friend make a horrible misjudgment in smoking in the first place, and in hanging out with stoner losers like you.  She's starting to get her life together, while you continue to destroy yours.  She has a chance.  Be glad for her, assuming you have a few brain cells left to process that.

Too bad because you stop smoking weed.

It seems that she is growing out of it - growing up, even. It doesn't mean she doesn't like weed, she has just decided that there are better things to spend her money on than ruining her health. Or whatever - ask her! 

There is nothing "to do".