Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 1 month ago

How long does it take to get pregnant after stopping the depo shot? ?

My depo shot warn off last April so I been off it for 9 months. I have been trying to get pregnant for 4 months why am I not getting pregnant? I went to a doctor she checked my ovaries, and Fallopian tubes and she said there normal so why am I not getting pregnant. I always have intercourse around the time i ovulate. I’m 23 me and my husband are confused. 

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ask-the-expert/sex-faq...

Figures vary from three to six months but they depend on how long a woman has regularly had the injections.

Fertility not only depends on whether you are producing an egg or not, but also how regular your periods are – that is, how many eggs you produce a year.

To put everything into perspective: no matter what sort of contraceptive couples were using, the vast majority would have become pregnant by the end of a year of trying.

• leah1 month agoReport

I get normal periods every month and I get the ovulation discharge. 

• LizB

Women who have been on depo take 6 months longer to get pregnant on average, and that's on top of the overall average of 3-6 months. After only 4 months you're not even outside of the normal average range yet, so it's likely too early to worry.

Did you husband have a semen analysis, too? Because if only you've been checked out, you're missing at least 50% of the information.

• leah1 month agoReport

I know he has healthy sperm. And I been off the depo for 10 months. But I think your right. 

It can sometimes take up to a year to become pregnant even for women who have never used birth control like the depo shot.

How are you determining when you ovulate.  If you are using an app, that is only a guess based on information entered.  Also, once you ovulate, the egg only lives for 12 to 24 hours.  This means that if you are just one day late after ovulation for having sex - then  you might be missing your ovulation point each month.

The BEST way to try for pregnancy is to have sex every other day for the full week BEFORE the predicted date of  your ovulation.  Sperm can live for up to five days and wait for the egg to arrive.  Having sex often during  a week time frame when ovulation is likely increases the chances of pregnancy.  

Or - you could learn how to better predict your ovulation so that you are sure you are having sex at the right time.  Track signs and symptoms and track basal body temp for a more accurate indication of ovulation.  

• leah1 month agoReport

Yeah I usually use a ovulation app. But I also get the ovulation discharge.

A week.  A year.  Anything in between or over.  There's no way to say.  The more important question is how are you determining ovulation?

• leah1 month agoReport

I use a app to determine but also I get the ovulation discharge. 

It isn't an exact science. YOUR hormones have to reset