Jan asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 2 months ago

what is the best jacket for Motorcycle riders?

• Fred

That  would upon depend upon several different variables.

The first and perhaps largest would be your personal temperatures you ride in from above 100 F to well below 32 F.

The next largest would be bike format. What is acceptable in an upright riding position is totally dysfunctional in sport bike riding in cold weather.

Somewhere following that is what amount of protection you feel comfortable wearing and what amount of discomfort you allow  against protection level offered.

Cost .. How much you want to pay?  Why that comes in at a personal variable is a mystery to me?  A rider can buy a complete full suit of the best gear on the market for the cost of getting a pig skin graft on a single elbow!    

Then finally there is a choice of style.  Why this comes in last, when in display it comes up on the top of the list?  Maybe it's my choice level?

I … Will not wear any jacket that is not CE rated!!!  I will not ride without a CE rated Jacket!  I have 5 different textile jackets in my closet.  Why I bought the 30F jacket remains somewhat of a mystery... but I have worn it!  I feel like the 'stay puffed man' in it!  Full double front zippers, Velcro  attached fold over wind flaps over the outside zipper. Full Mandarin collar that Velcro laches closed!  I prefer  outer TPE armored elbow, shoulder, spine, hip, tailbone, knee, and boots.  TPE against asphalt has more abrasion résistance than steel!  Don't believe it? Take some TPE against a bench grinder!

The other 4 jackets lighten up to a warm weather Jacket with a polo collar... open  mesh textile with TPE armor.  I have used it in 107 F with a Kevlar suit under it and it's fine; just be prepared to remove it like a fire drill when you stop moving!  … I see ever motorcyclist I meet in T-shirts and just smile!  

Buy the different outer thermal design jackets all from the same manufacturer and you can zip in thermal and rain liners for all combinations of expected  weather conditions into each individual outer  jacket!       

Source(s): So Far... All the expense and discomfort has proveded no needed beneficial use. It waits for tommorrow!
    • Anon

WITTY is "CE Approved"? Some English MOT? Leahers  dont Need fancy certifications--just pick out a Thick horsehide, lined one. Pref Made in USA. 

• adam

I live in Phoenix. Summer? 110 to 115 degrees? Im wearing a white tee shirt with my MC colors printed on back or just my cut. To hot for a jacket. Winter ? Standard ol skool leather . Thats just me though. Best? There are jackets that are vented . even kevlar in them.

Tight and heavy.

• Road warrior

Not Too tight to not allow some movement for control. 

I have 4 Jackets

1 Full leather with leather pants for Touring in the winter

2 full leather 50 style for local riding

3 a bellsatff for wet weather

and a waistcoat for local shopping

Get only Quality with removable armour until you are more experienced

and if you feel the cold a bout 4 layers of newspaper Under the Leather Jacket will solve that

when i was in Scotland i had a set of chaps made to keep the Ice and snow off my legs

classic is horsehide motorcycle jacket, next is the bullhide jacket, then comes the goatskin, suedes from split cowhide , finally is pigskin then the nylon abrasion resistant sometimes with Kevlar. English have had the heavy waxed cotton Barbours for many years . 

• Road warrior

Sheepskin  is bottom of barre;l. To thin for an MC, just for looks. 

Hot weather? Cold weather?  Wet weather? Dry weather?

• Peter

The one that fits.

• Road warrior

A thick sweatshirt will  "fit" BUT  roll up on you in a spill and be No protection At All..

A windproof jacket.

• Road warrior

"windproof' when Walking is NG at 60...and might just roll up and part Company with you in a spill.   10 mil . Plastic is :"windproof".... 

• Tim D

One that is waterproof, armoured on shoulders, elbows and spine (not just padded), windproof, removable liner, zipped vents for warm weather, waterproof pockets.

• Road warrior

Only in the Summer.  Winters stay mild., And, we are NOT talking of riding at night. You really need two suits if you do both summer  day  riding in the Sonoran Desert AND night riding. Drops 30 degrees. Even 85 at night,no humidity, feels like Freezing. Try LIVING there 14 years

• Scott

Depends on climate and riding style. Not enough info to give you an answer.