Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 month ago

Going to school in Alabama from New England, will it be a culture shock?

So I’ve lived in New England my entire life, never really ventured to the south other than florida. I’ve been to most of the New England states and California, out of the country a few times. I’m thinking about going to the university of Alabama for college because I love football and game days and Alabama has pretty good college football. 

However I’m questioning if Alabama will be too much of a culture shock for me. Specially going on my own not knowing anybody 

I went from Pennsylvania to South Carolina (somewhere I had never been), and the culture shock was minimal. As I recall, there was no shock...just moderate adaptation.

probably, Alabama is about the most backwards state in the Union.

• Kyle

join some clubs, activities, sports, something other than just going to class.  do something that you'd be interested in.  consider joining a greek house in your later years.  when you do stuff you enjoy doing, making new friends will come naturally.  

colleges usually have specific activities for freshmen and new students.  almost like an orientation.  so make sure to attend those and meet your fellow classmates. 

• Bob

You will see more black people,  and the weather won't be as cold in the winter

Nah Pearlmar, they’re from New England, the racist remarks will make them feel at home.

Which part of New England do you live in?  I understand that Vermont is quite different from Massachusetts.  Anyway, get used to seeing lots of black folks down in Alabama.  Other than that, I don' know what to tell you.

• y

Slow the hell down, things move at a different speed in the south then they do in the north east and west coast. That slower speed is often viewed as less then intellectually, nothing could be further from the truth. Open mind and you'll be just fine. Take in the differences, welcome and enjoy them. We tend to embrace the diversity within our cities yet balk at it throughout the country.

Oh and that accent, is going to knock you off your feet. You can't help but fall in love with it.

It sure will be. The racist remarks will turn you off.

• Savannah1 month agoReport

Racist remarks? Wait what haha 

• Lili

Yes, it would be a culture shock.  How much of one might depend on where in New England you live and what sort of environment.

You can find good college football in places that might not seem so very different. What about Michigan-Ann Arbor or Wisconsin-Madison?  Penn State?  Even Ohio State would be less culturally different. I know. I grew up in Columbus and lived in New England (Hartford area; New Haven; Boston) for many years.