Can a dealership cancel a contract ?

Long story short I bought a used car in the state of Georgia , the car broke down within two weeks of having it the engine went out . The dealership refused to honor my buyers guide which says , dealer warranty covers engine and transmission. I’ve contacted a lawyer and told the dealership my intentions of moving forward and going to court . That was about a week ago , I called today to see if the dealership has changed their minds , and was told I do not have a car with them and they wouldn’t go into specifics . What could that mean , and what should I do ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Just continue with the suit. They may just hope you give up and go away. You should be able to prove your case in court.

• 8 months ago

"Buyers guide"... can you elaborate? Was it a signed document that came out of the transaction? Did they provide a written warranty?

Georgia doesn't have lemon law protection on used vehicles, so not sure where this "honor my warranty" part is coming. Did you pay extra for a warranty that they're not honoring? 

• 8 months ago

Sue the dealer in small claims court.

• 8 months ago

What's "my buyers guide?"  Unless a warranty is specifically part of the contract to purchase I don't think you will prevail in a suit.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

They did not cancel anything. You still have the car and you still owe whoever lent you the money.

• 8 months ago

They sold you the car - the car is yours now.

- the lender has a loan with you.  Is the lender and the dealership, the same entity?  Or are you paying someone else?

- is the warranty part of the dealership or is it with a 3rd party warranty company? 

You may have to look at your paperwork to determine these answers.

If the warranty is with a separate warranty company, they are the ones that have to fix your car, not the dealership. 

I hope you have the warranty paperwork, you were given. 

• 8 months ago

I assume you have a copy of the bill of sale which proves otherwise.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

It is time to cough up the retainer fees for your lawyer.  Dealer is probably calling your bluff.  They have been there before many times.  They know the drill.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.