Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

When should I lean my cat off of wet food?

A few months ago I adopted a kitten from a humane society. She didn't like us at first, mainly would scratch and bite. But when she found out that the food we give her is all for her and she doesn't have to share, she loved us. 

Every day she would wake me up bug me until I went downstairs and gave her a can of wet food. She does eat the dry food we leave out for her, but it's the wet food she goes crazy for. She's starting to lose her baby teeth, which makes me think she should be able to stop eating the wet food twice a day. 

Although, I am scared that when we stop feeding her wet food, she'll either get as scrappy as she was when we adopted her or begin to hate us. 

What do I do?

• patty

wet food twice a day and a small bowl of biscuits is fine

It's ultimately up to you. If you can afford to still be giving her wet food then I say go ahead. If you want to stop but are afraid she will go back to her grump self. Decide if you would rather feed her the wet in the morning or for dinner. If you choose morning then slowly decrease the amount of wet you give the second time around over the course of days. So that you don't throw her completely off by cutting cold turkey.

Cats get most of the moisture they need from the food they eat. Imagine a nice tasty morsel of mouse, still warm, bloody and moist.  Lovely. Their system are designed for that and dry food is not good for them, though they'll eat it when hungry. 

Dry food is a lazy owner's get-out.  If you care for your cat keep on the moist stuff.

After 2 days    

Never. For one, wet food will keep your cat hydrated way more than dry food. stay away from the kibbles. If that is an issue, please give that cat to someone that will care properly

• Ken S

Sigh

Dry food is the number 1 cause of diabetes in cats as well as the number 1 cause of kidney disease,obesity,blockages,amoung other things. It's only cheaper when you don't count vet bills among expenses. You can leave canned food out all day or all night so you don't have to wake up.

Taking care of this kitten means feeding her properly.

Learn about nutrition here www.catinfo.org

Should never have started the wet food in the first place totally unnecessary

• Ken S

and you can eat cotton candy all of your life instead of nutritious food. It just may cause health problems and shorten your life span

• Mark

Some cats prefer wet food, but if you want to "lean" [it's "wean", and "l" is not even CLOSE to "w" on the keyboard) her off it, go ahead, if it's too much a financial burden for you.

Or, better yet, don't give it to her every day, but maybe once a week.  That's what I used to do. Pets, like humans, prefer variety in their food.  Would you like to have tuna casserole three times a day, EVERY day for years on end?

You keep feeding her wet. Cats typically do better on wet food rather than dry. Dry food tends to have a lot more sodium in it. I only give my cats wet. They are also on a routine and they never beg me for food unless they know it's getting closer to their meal time.

She is also still a kitten. She will get "scrappy" and silly and play with you. You have a lot to learn about cats, I see.

You do it slowly. Start off by putting in a little bit of dry food and mix it with the wet food. Slowly increase the dry food concentration and reduce the amount of wet cat food. 

There is nothing wrong with wet cat food.