Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

How to end my relationship?

I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for about a year and a half. We met in work and still work together but in different departments. We have most of the same friends in work and go out with them regularly. I know she really loves me and I love her too -- I just don't think I'm in love with her (anymore).

Since we got together I've found myself interested in other girls that I work with. I don't know if this is a sign that I'm not happy with my girlfriend or if this is just how I am. I feel really guilty about it. I've never cheated on my girlfriend and would leave her before I'd ever hurt her like that. We've had a couple of fights recently and it's almost ended but we've managed to get things back on track. Still, I find myself thinking she isn't the one.

I don't know what to do. I really care for her, she's an amazing person but I know long-term there is no future. We're both still young(ish) but I don't want to continue wasting her time. She has exams coming up and I'm hesitant to do anything that might throw her off her studies. I also fear it will make things really awkward in work (for her and our friends) and that one of us will have to leave. With Christmas coming up and her birthday not long after, I feel there's only so long I can keep up the facade of being happy. I was up all night thinking about it and I'm just at a loss. Is there ever a right time to do it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Favorite Answer

There is no right time. There will always be a reason to wait if you allow it. The best thing for both of you is to get it over with. And don't feel guilty. Almost every relationship ends if you think about it. If she is not for you then it's kindest to let her go sooner rather than later.

• That was along the lines of what I was thinking. You're probably right. Thanks for the help!

through text     

End it respectfully and soon. She'd appreciate it! 

• Jerry

Unless you two were discussing engagement and marriage, I don't understand how questions her being or not being "the one," questions of "long term future," come into this. 

The way to ease out of a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship is to be less available to your partner, spend less time with your partner. No need for the awkwardness of words when you actions are clearly stating "My interest in spending time with you has grown less." 

Along with that, resist the temptation to start pursuing other romantic interests and most especially avoid showing an interest in those "other girls" at work. That would be awkward and uncomfortable for you, for her, for everyone you work with, and this would NOT be good for your work life. 

I'm surprised you'd consider pursuing a co-worker. Do you want to be going through this every 2 years or something? Don't date co-workers. Breaking up is too awkward. 

Id simply say, we need to talk one day and move forward.

I would be more concerned about my happiness verses Christmas and her bd.

I think you should have spoken up sooner