Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 8 months ago

How can you make someone stop breastfeeding?

My girlfriend is still breastfeeding our 2yr old twins... Which is fine except for the fact that she's bipolar and her doctor wants to put her on lithium. They can't put her on the medication while she's breastfeeding but she really, really needs it. We've tried everything to manage her condition and nothing is working... 

She doesn't want to stop breastfeeding and neither do the twins, but I feel like they sort of have to? Her mental health is suffering majorly, she needs this medication. 

I don't know what to do or how to convince her 

You can't unless she's declared legally unfit to make her own decisions. 

• LizB

What does her psychiatrist say about it? Have you gone to one of your girlfriend's appointments with her to discuss the matter?

She needs to start eating a healthy diet if she's not. No sugar, no grains, no processed foods, very limited dairy. Just whole, healthy foods, healthy fats, cheeses in moderation. Pickles and olives are ok too. And she can have almond or cashew milk - these are usually fortified with vitamins just like regular milk.

Our gut health and brain health are directly related and science is proving that our diets can impact our mental wellness or mental deficiencies very strongly.

You can also do your google research for gut brain health.

My grandmother took lithium and she got big as a house. She was very uncomfortable on that drug. There are others out there, by the way

Take over for the twins.  Lithium won't hurt you.