Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

My car is registered, but the registration paperwork is missing. Is it legal in CA to drive my car until I can get the new paperwork?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

No, but it will only cost you about $30 and three hours of your life to go to the DMV and get a duplicate registration printed out. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Short answer is NOPE

"but the registration paperwork is missing. " is the line used by every guy that has STOLEN A CAR.  They have no proof the car is theirs.  Renewed paperwork takes 20 minutes...so while you are scratching your nuts, they fill out the paperwork then hand it to you after you pay them for their time doing that work. They don't work for free.  You want to lose it,= you pay for it.

As for its importance....this is the paperwork the COPS DEMAND OF YOU BEFORE YOU SPREAD EM WITH HANDS ON THE HOOD.

SO, really important.

• 2 months ago

Just get the paperwork replaced.  It's the easiest procedure the DMV offers, usually done in 15 minutes or less.  Fill out a lost / stolen form, stand in line for a while, pay a small fee, and you're done.  Valid papers in hand that very same day.

No it's not legal to drive without your required paperwork, but what are the chances you'll be stopped en route to the DMV?  And if you are stopped, the cop will probably give you a warning or a "fix it ticket".  

• May
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I'm not sure that it is "illegal" but you may request a new registration certificate from your DMV.  As long as you have valid plates (registration) driving until you get a replacement certificate is not something that I would worry too much about.

The certificate is only a piece of paper.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

No.  Maybe the police will be nice if you get pulled over, maybe they won't be.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can order a duplicate by mail.  Print a copy of the application for a duplicate and put it in your glove box.  You can present it to the officer if you get pulled over.  As long as your registration is current, you should be ok.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.