Accidental damage to the lino flooring in the property I'm renting.?

Hi everyone, 

I have accidently dropped a heavy bit of furniture on the dining room lino and ripped a part of the lino up, about 30cm by 30cm. It's quite old style lino, so some small pieces have broken off, so I'm unable to glue it back together.

I have just been diagnosed with a chronic medical condition, have day surgery this week and will need expensive medication from here on. I also was recently made redundant from my job, so am reluctantly on government benefits, a pension to be specific due to health issues also.

Knowing that I'm responsible for the accidental damage, I want to know what ways there are around it. I literally can barely afford to live right now and the stress from the thought of having to try and pay for the damage is making my condition flare up.

I paid a $500 deposit, which if they decide to replace the whole lino flooring isn't going to  suffice to cover all costs. And I'm unsure on what to do financially about this, if they take me to court and win the case then I don't know what will be expected if I literally cannot afford to pay?

I have maintained the rest of the property very well as requested in the contract, maintained the gardens, purchased plants for it, and revived the dead grass to green again. Have spent some money replacing old smelly curtains with new ones etc. The place has remained clean and in good condition otherwise. 

I live in South Australia.

Any advice will be much appreciated.


3 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    Wow. That’s a tough but easy one. Bottom line is you are responsible. You can turn it every which way but loose.

  • 8 months ago

    You damaged the floor, you are going to pay for it. If the $500 deposit doesn't cover the cost, how hard the landlord decides to go after you for the remainder depends on how much that remainder will be.

    Your lifting and dropping heavy furniture takes away from any sympathy for being on state disability.

  • martin
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    It seems that only a very callous landlord would make trouble for you, considering your physical health, the loss of your job, and the apparent impossibility of finding another job. You should talk with people at churches or local agencies for elders or disabled people. See if there's some practical way to get assistance from them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.