Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

If someone has a psychological 'quirk' is it wrong not to coddle them?

Let's say that you had a roommate with an OCD quirk that made them very difficult to deal with.  In this scenario, the roommate cannot enter a house, even their own, unless they're let in. So each day they come home and ring the doorbell over and over until you get up and let them in.  Even if the door is wide open they will not enter on their own.  And obviously it's this person's residence, so there's nothing stopping them from entering aside from their psychological quirk.

Would you think it wrong to just leave them outside, ringing the bell, or would you get up and let them in each time?

Since you are aware of your roommate's issue you are doing the right thing by letting them in.

You are practicing the golden rule of doing unto others what you would have them do to you.

• Nom

get google home hook it up to lock and unlock the door, google lets him in problem solved,,,,,if not your roommate is just a vampire and cant come inside unless invited

• audrey

I would rip the wires out of the door bell and leave them out there.

I don't care if you get "up" every hour.

Help him out.

I would move out because that’s nutty and it’s not my responsibility to see what might come next. These types of things can get progressively worse. 

• Tasm

Since you are living their, then he must view it as your house and it is not polite to just enter someone elses house.

You should probably give them a hand and help them out. I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Would you want someone to help you out if that was something you struggled with? I would.

~Kate Yelkovan~