how many miles or years do most brake master cylinders last before they start to fail? how depends?

and what about clutch master cylinders? and slave cylinders?

is it good to replace the brake fluid every 60,000 miles or how often?

why the manager at a local oil lube place told me that he hasnt changed the brake fluid in his vehicle in 400,000 miles and that he doesnt plan to?

• Dze
    Favorite Answer

it will go quite some time if the system stays well sealed but if theres a breach moisture is introduced and it screws everything up .. thats usually the problem i think ie seals and hoses are rubber and eventually will fail with harsh conditions and usage playing into that .. fluid also can become thick with age ...i'd say its good practice to replace fluid every 5 years and other components just as they fail, about all you can do is get the most out of them you can .. that said, a vehicle thats well treated garaged etc could probably go 15 years without touching anything although it would definitely be a good idea to change the fluid out several times during that period ..

Most people never replace their brake fluid until they have some sort of failure in the hydraulic system.

Flushing brake lines often is a problem due to frozen bleeder screws.

Clutch slave cylinders are usually the part that goes first on hydraulic clutches. The slave cylinder leaks at the dust boot and is easy to diagnose when they leak.I don't mess with fluid changes until there is a leak in the system.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Jay P

I have replaced brake fluid and hydraulic fluid for the clutch on my vehicles as part of routine maintenance but I have never replaced any of the other components you mentioned in any of my vehicles.

Hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic, which means that it attracts moisture.  Moisture is bad news for hydraulics. The caps on the master cylinders have vent holes, they have to, and that is where outside air, complete with any moisture it carries, gets in.

It is usual therefore to replace fluid very few years or so. It doesn't need flushing, you just  pump the fluid through and keep topping it up with fresh until it's all done. t's usually on the servicing schedule for the car, but if it isn't still think of doing it every so often.

Why the bloke at the lube place told you that we don't know. Perhaps he was trying to get rid of you.

My master cylinder is still good in my 1998 car with 150,000 miles. The rest of that stuff is N/A for me since my car is automatic. I flush my brake fluid when I put on new brakes....one new set besides what the car came with.

Check the scheduled maintenance page on your owner's manual and see if it requires a brake fluid change.  My vehicle requires a change every 30k miles or 2 years. 

Brake cylinders will usually last the lifetime of a vehicle. They are not common failure items. Replace if they check bad.

A lot of miles and years

• Ron

as many as it takes