Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

In U.K. what would be a reasonable price to pay for an adults' bike to use, mainly, to use for getting to and from work?

just a couple of miles from home? Maximum price £200. Have a new job but buses don't run early enough. If you know something about bikes and could recommend one I'd be grateful.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Jon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As others wrote, you would be better off with a decent second hand bike than a poor quality new one within that price range and for covering about 20 miles/week. You may well find a good enough one at under £100.

Having a 17 mile daily round trip to work plus other trips, I often cover over ten times that weekly distance and so need a better quality bike, but I also keep a second bike usually coupled to a cargo trailer which typically only covers 10 to 20 miles/week for shopping, etc.

For that role, I usually buy a used bike which will last 2 or 3 years of light use before developing a defect which would cost more than it is worth to fix. I have usually found what I want in the £30- £60 range, e.g. my current 'tug' pictured was £40 from a local EBay seller about a year ago.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

I'll echo what the others said. Quality bikes aren't that cheap. Also, remember you'll need lights, fenders, and protective gear such as a helmet and weather protection. If you think this costs too much, look into costs of a car and compare.

• 2 months ago

Purchasing a bicycle is much like purchasing a cordless drill.  If all the drill is needed for is occasional lite duty jobs around the house a cheap one will do.  If you need it for work doing heavy duty jobs every day then you'd want a high quality industrial rated cordless drill.

The same principle is true with bicycles.  That being said, if you do decide to get a department store bike get one unassembled and still in the box.  Take it to a reputable bicycle shop to be assembled by professional bicycle mechanics.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
  • 2 months ago

£200?  New?  For a daily "commuter bike"?  All new bikes at that price (or below) will be of inferior quality.  You'll end up spending more on repairs & upgrades than what the bike is worth.  Choice A) Spend at least £350 to £400 at a REAL bicycle shop - meaning no discount stores.  Here's one from Raleigh for £390.00 -  https://www.raleigh.co.uk/21290-strada-2-crossbar-...  

Choice B) Know anyone yourself personally who is great with bikes?  Go look for a gently used bike from a reputable company such as Raleigh, Trek, Giant, Fuji, etc.  I'd rather have a quality used bike than an inferior new one. 

Choice C) And take this as a FACT!  Halfords is notorious for shoddy assembly & mechanics who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.  However...this one is only £5 over your limit at £205 -  https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bike...    1) Cross your fingers whoever assembled it knew what they were doing.  2) TEST RIDE the bike first.  No test ride - NO $ALE.  3) All new bikes of any brand go through a "break-in" period.  After roughly 30 to 60 days adjustments may be needed to brake & shift cables.  Spoke tension on the wheels is critical.  Have that double checked.  And more...  It should come FREE under the "Service Warranty".  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • David
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

£200 isn’t really enough for a shop-bought, reliable, quality bike.

It MIGHT stretch to a 3-speed, internal gear bike. IMO not that fun, but perfectly serviceable utility bikes.

The key to user satisfaction while shopping on a budget is to look for as few features as possible. The more features a set amount has to cover, the less there is to spend at each feature.

The bike biz is very consistent these days. Similar money buys you comparable bikes regardless of brand and shop. But perhaps you’ll get lucky and can find an end-of-season sale or something. Look for a 3-5 speed internal gear with fenders and a rack. No suspension fork.

If you can, stay out of Halfords. They have a somewhat questionable rep WRT bikes. Can be good for those who knows - or don’t care much - what they buy. Not so good for someone who might need some good help with their purchase.

• pmt853
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If your maximum price is £200 then buy a £200 bike but be aware that it's unlikely to be good quality. If you don't know enough to spot a good or bad second-hand bike then buy it from a reputable local bike shop, try, try, try before you buy and remember to get suitable lights, protective clothing and helmet. You say nothing about the conditions you'd be riding in, but a hybrid might be what you need. If you're riding on roads and tarmac surfaces you do NOT need a mountain bike.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.