What is the difference between a point and ring singularity ?

Besides that one is a point and the other a ring 

• neb

A point singularity has zero dimensions and is the termination for for all paths <= ‘c’ within the event horizon. A point singularity cannot be a source of angular momentum.

A ring singularity is 1-d (along the circumference of the ring it takes only one number to distinguish between points on the ring). It has no thickness. In theory, it is possible to avoid the ring singularity if you are within the event horizon.

It’s radius is proportional to the ratio of the angular momentum to the mass of the black hole. So, if the angular momentum goes to zero the ring singularity becomes a point singularity.

Are you understanding any of the answers I and others have written to your questions? You give little or no feedback so it’s hard to tell whether we are wasting our time.

• neb

I really don’t care about best answer - just that you’re reading and understanding the answers so I’m not wasting my time. We get so little feedback for so many answers - who knows whether we are serving any useful function ....