Weird worrying sensations at night..please help!!?

I usually get these once per month maybe, just whenever I have a really bad sleep routine- sleep deprivation/ body clock messed up/ if I take a nap during the day.

When i'm close to falling asleep (therefore still conscious), I get adrenaline rushes through my whole body, sometimes it will also feel like my face is exploding. Recently it has switched to sensations of my brain exploding; feelings that there are waves of high-pressured blood flow blasting through my head. Then my thighs will feel the blood flow too and it will feel like they are shaking. These sensations often last for no more than 30 seconds- two minutes.

The main symptom is really the 'head exploding because of high powered blood flow' feeling, and when this happens I am aware but cannot move or open my eyes. When it gets bad, the next morning I felt nauseous and my head felt heavy the entire day.

I have honestly went to the doctor's MULTIPLE times, have had my eyes and heart checked, all fine. My doctor says because i'm not getting it everyday the symptoms therefore aren't severe enough for a MRI or something, also because the radiation is too strong for someone so young.

I am scared, anxious and fed up and I donn't know why this is happening. I know the solution is to keep my sleeping habits good, but at times such as exams I can't help but have an erratic sleep schedule. help anyone??????

Recently I've also realised that if i catch the sensation just when i'm about to fall asleep, I can wait for the feeling that an episode is about to start if i force myself to stay awake, then i'll be fine when i go to sleep. But the next morning I still get a headache 

Favorite Answer

i may be unable to offer much comfort because i do get the same sensation regularly with mild headaches throughout the next day.. i try force myself into regular sleep hours: if this person often sleeps at 9pm, this person has to be in bed at 9pm.. if it is 12 midnight, it should always be at midnight.. and i also have a general rule NOT to sleep before 7pm, because i would wake up 6 hours later with nothing to do around the house..

we doctors often talk about sleep in terms of quality and quantity.. some people sleep 4 hours a day, and they feel like they have slept the whole day (it often happens when you are old or in acute mania and depression), while others sleep 10 hours non-stop and feel that they'd only slept for 1-2 hours (it happens in cases of depression)..

if your sleep schedule is erratic, it will effect your biological clock.. and when scientists talk about the biological clock they often mean the amount and the pattern of stress hormones.. stress hormones (for example Cortisol) have their impact all over the body in a positive fight or flight short-time situations, but they are harmful in the long term for extended amount of time - which is why soldiers get PTSD and other stress-related issues, like teeth-grinding, psychosomatic illnesses (such as stress induced skin rash - a type of skin rash that appears when stressed) and digestive disorders like Gastritis and stomach ulcers..

Cortisol does a lot of things in the body.. it enhances the pleasure when you win a game or a battle, or climb the highest mountains or surfed the highest wave.. but it effects the effect of retrieving memory - for example, soldiers who are in stress often have difficulties remembering the face of their loved ones because stress hormones focuses the brain into fight & flight (and less on stop a& think); which is why Cortisol is never good for you during exams or when you are on a deadline..

Cortisol also tells the kidneys to retain more water in the body and to produce less urine, turning you into a balloon filled with water which often present with a puffy face and a sucky feeling throughout the body.. and Cortisol also mobilize and breaks down energy deposits all over the body, it breaks down the protein inside the muscles and the fat at lesser degree, adding to the yucky sucky feeling throughout the body.. and Cortisol does increase your blood pressure significantly..

`

if you have an erratic sleep pattern, your body will assume that you are in a constant fight & flight conditions trying to escape a predator or an enemy, it will focuses the brain on problem-solving mode and less on retrieving long-term memory.. in the long term, it mobilize energy deposits to release sugar into the blood, and it breaks down its own protein and fat in the muscles to be converted into sugar/energy.. and it goes into conserving water and food mode..

so to feel better:

- fix your sleep hours.. make sure you go to bed at the same time every night..

- avoid sleep medications when possible (either herbal or medicinal).. sleep pills are the last nuclear bomb solution in a war..

- remove anything that is causing stress from your bed or from the bedroom.: homework, paperwork, text-books, a picture of your boss whom you have for some reason..

- avoid watching or listening to electronics past the sleep hours.. turn off the TV, the computer, any smart devices and (if possible) the mobile phone when you go to bed.. and because i have the "no sleep before 7pm rule", i often set the alarm clock on 7pm, so i would stay up long enough until my regular go to bed hour at 10pm..

- avoid meat 1-2 hours before sleep.. however a small meal and a glass of milk can help someone to go to sleep on a filled stomach..

- dark, quiet and slightly cold bedroom, offers the best conditions of sleep.. i always dim the lights after 8pm and turn them off when i sleep.. i also went a step further by installing a timer to turn off all lights at 11pm in case i forgot or slept a bit too early (and it works miraculously).. there is some truth about the 'blue-light effect on sleep'; so it would be a good idea for you to read something about it, and set your computer and your smart devices on Night-Light, on Blue Light Filter or on Night Mode.. 

- in relation to the last point, airline pilots have a small solution on resetting the clock in our brain.. they expose their face and their eyes, into the morning sun and into the red sun setting-down (do not look at the sun directly).. and they simulate the colour of the sky in their homes, using white fluorescent lights (they may be called Cool or Bright Light with colour temperatures of 3500K – 4100K) during the day, but at night, they reduce the amount of lights used, and often with lower colour temperatures (they are often called Warm/Soft White lights at 2700K – 3000K).. you should be able to find these details at retailers..

- avoid sports and physical exercises within 2-3 hours before sleep..

- avoid making plans for tomorrow while in bed.. "tomorrow i go to that place at 8, meet with her at 9, then buy item 1,2,3,4 at 12".. avoid making plans and avoid worrying about things that you cannot control when in bed.. psychologically, the brain would not see the bed as a negative aspect of your life, and these simple exercises improves the quality of sleep tremendously..

- pick up a hobby or an interest (TV, religion, yoga, etc).. and try to focus on those positive thoughts before sleep..

i am not into herbal teas or into certain diet except avoiding meat (especially pork) at night.. happiness and mental well-being often solve much of stress-related problems..

all the best..

• Jiaying1 month agoReport

Thank you. Recently I've just been reflecting on the symptoms and I'm extremely scared, because they really did feel like my blood vessels in my brain were going to  explode. After my grandfather had a stroke im just in deeper anxiety. Will they have caused any lasting damage to my blood vessels...?