Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWrestling · 8 months ago

What can AEW do to improve their product?

What would you do if you were in charge of AEW?

• Candle

I'd ditch some of the silly.  Not all of it, but some.  I'm an Orange Cassidy fan, but he's been a very divisive figure and I can't for the life of me understand why.  Either let him show what he can do in the ring after a long build up if you want, as long as this is building to something.  Jurassic Express is fine as a trio of essentially comedy jobbers, but more could be done with Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy if the gimmicks were ditched or at least tweaked or focused on creatively.  Likewise, drop the Isaac Yankem crap with Britt.  She's a good wrestler, but the gimmick's trash.  Also just get rid of Brandon Cutler.  He's not a great wrestler, he isn't a good promo, and I'm not one to harp on this kind of stuff in a company like AEW, but he's built like a scarecrow.

On the other side of the spectrum, they have to weed out some of these cult factions.  The first that needs to go is The Butcher, The Blade, and The Bunny, because it holds zero interest for anyone and Allie's the most over thing about it.  I'm willing to wait and see with Dark Order or even Brandi's recent psycho spree, but inevitably one has to go if it doesn't pay off.

Quit telling refs the finish.  There have already been two major miscommunications with refs and talents regarding what the finish of a match is, or over someone simply being out of place.  Either hire road agents to map out the matches who have final say in the TV product, which isn't a horrible idea if they aren't already and I somehow doubt they are, or tell refs to count to three when shoulders are on the mat no matter what.  These aren't bad refs.  I've seen most of them work the indies for at least a decade now and they were on point before they got to AEW, so the problem has to be AEW.

Get Kenny Omega away from the women's division and take his girlfriend out of the title picture and, preferably, the company.  Riho's bad in AEW.  I've heard she does well in Japan, but that doesn't concern me.  Have her take Bea Priestly with her as well.  Hikaru and Emi can stay so long as they're given some character development, or, again, Emi ditches the Freddy Mercury crap.  Leva can be enhancement talent, but ditch the librarian gimmick.  It's anti-heat, and it's a shame because both Leva and Peter Avalon are good talents with great personalities who could serve better as charismatic jobbers for their divisions.

No more reliance on youtube to carry the show.  The numbers are clear that not everyone who watches the TV show tunes in to see AEW Dark or Being The Elite, so don't make reference to either without explanation.  Not everyone tuning in is going to be a  Young Bucks fan.

We don't need death match wrestling in the mainstream.  When it's real death match crap, it turns off a segment of the audience.  On the other side of the coin, it looks phony when Moxley's DDTing Omega through a sugar glass table.  They've been smart about at least mostly keeping it on PPV, but it's unnecessary.  Both Moxley and Janela know how to wrestle without stomping thumbtacks barefoot or eating barbed wire.

Don't do something unless it has a sensible payoff.  This whole diamond ring thing has been silly, as was the Cracker Barrel sponsorship tie in stuff.

Tell Cody to shut up about...everything.  It's not a war, it's not WCW, and there's no reason to go after WarGames or PPV names when it's only going to stir up trouble or result in a match that I don't think AEW is currently capable of putting together as well as the competition does.  I can't stress the need for road agents enough.

And most importantly of all, simply because no one seems to know how to put one together (which leads me to think there are no road agents), and the cameras don't know how to shoot one, NO MORE BATTLE ROYALS!

• jimmy

I'd pretty much let things stay on course maybe spread out introducing new talent a bit further it's getting hard keeping track of who everyone is when there are so many new guys coming at me.