Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

My bf doesn't listen to me?

My bf got his ears pierced and i really do not like it. It's such a big turn off for me and he knew I do not like it as I had told him before not to get it. I wouldn't like to bring him in front of my dad wearing earrings or even having my dad see the holes in his ear. His parents were also against it but he doesn't listen to them. I've had previously talked 3 times one on one with him regarding the earrings and how I do not like it at all. He hears me and says that he won't wear it but when he's with his friends and at home, he keeps them on and hides it from me. Aside from the earring topic, during our normal hangouts, he admits that he doesn't listen to anyone. People would expect that he listens to me because I'm his gf but that's really not the case. When I tell him (not in serious convos) that he doesn't listen to anyone including me, he says "I know". What should I do? I just really dislike it

• sian

The obvious thing to do is dump him. But if for some reason you don't want to, then talk to him about the fact that a relationship is made up of 2 people - you and he, not he and his ego.

Being a bf/gf or even a spouse doesn't give you the right to determine what someone else does with their own body. This is a relatively small thing but it does show that this guy doesn't wish to be under your thumb. If you can't live with that then this isn't the person you should be with.

Don't break up with him bc of the earrings. Break up with him if he continues to not to listen to your feelings 

Don't listen to people who telling you to dump him. Most couples break up too easily lol. 

so consider breaking up with him.

Fine. If he doesn't want to listen then I won't speak with him.

Speaking with him is like speaking with a wall, floor, or ground, so if you want to keep him as your boyfriend then go ahead.

They are just earrings. I really don't see what the big deal is. Besides, it's his body, and they are his ears.

What are you going to do when there is a big life problem? Jump from a bridge? This is not even a concern. and if you don't like it that much, then break it off. But i've never heard of people breaking up because of earrings

not much you can do about it, if you dont like it then get another boyfriend

How would you feel if your boyfriend stopped you getting a piercing or told you to do your hair or makeup different? 

Sorry for the harsh answer but it sounds like you’re being a bit controlling here. It’s his body, if he wants a piercing he can do that. If that means you are no longer attracted to him and your feeling aren’t strong enough to set aside a piercing then find someone else. I think if you were in love with him, or at least really liked him, a piercing wouldn’t change much. It should be more based on caring for your partners happiness 

• God

Cut off the nookie.