should I kill all the grass and weeds before put down some rocks?

Hi, I have a section of yard that I want to get rid of grass and weeds and just have rocks and pebbles. I have put down some black sheets to cover up the whole section thinking they will keep the plants from growing, but they are thin and brittle so some vegetation are still alive. My question is do I need to get rid of everything before I put the rocks down? My theory is even I use herbicide to kill all of them now, weeds and grass can still grow after several months or years. Can I start to put the rocks on the black sheets now? Thank you!

Favorite Answer

I have done this several times over the years. You will find that regardless of what you do weeds will grow in-between the rocks so you will need to use some weed killer from time to time. 

By the way after the first time I did this I didn't both with the weed block or plastic sheeting. It is only good for about one year at best.

Won't matter.  They will grow through after several months .  Weeds grow through concrete...or granite boulders.

Herbicide followed by sheeting will do the best job you can expect. Even then, you will get new weeds appearing for time to time, because traces of soil and dust will gather between your rocks, either blown in as dust or washed in by rain, and then some wind-blown seed can seize the opportunity. So you'll need to do some weeding or apply a herbicide from time to time.

Put down a sheet of reinforced concrete about 6 inches thick and it will fix the problem. Any thing less and you will have grass and weeds growing up in the rocks and the only way to get rid of them is to spray them. Then about a month of dying and dead grass and weeds. About 3 or 4 times per year because you will never be able to spray all of the grass and weeds because of the rocks. You might want to find some place that is the same as what you are going to do. If you can't find any, that should tell you something.

We did this for a large portion of our yard and are happy with the results. We never killed the various weeds and grass below first. I strongly suggest using the black plastic sheets...not the netted like cloth! Makes a huge difference. Make sure to generously overlap the seams. It's very important to do this because when you lay the rock it will sink down and move the plastic a bit. Overlapping it well will prevent any gaps. When you lay the rock, do it slowly and carefully so that you don't move the plastic too much. 

Yea u should but please while ur at it, kill all the weebs too.

you need a weed killer that destroys the roots then put the sheet down

• enn

You are on the right track. Even with weed control cloth and herbicides, weed seeds blown in and delivered by the winds can still get into the cracks between the rocks and grow. It really does help to use a hoe and dig out as many roots from the soil as you can. Many weeds are able to grow back with just a sliver of root, so do your best to remove as much root shreds in the soil. Some people even go so far as to sift the soil down about 3 inches, meaning dig by shovelfuls into a homemade sifter and sift out all of the pebbles and organic matter from the soil to remove excess organic matter from the soil, and then lay down the weed cloth, and then the rocks. Yes, it IS Excess work, but will reduce the amount of weeds growing under and through cracks in the weed cloth in the future from germinating from heavy rains. Good luck!

Black sheets should prevent anything from growing, but to be safe, I'd rip out the grass layer first.