How do you make your hot chocolate?

Do you use the hot chocolate mix in a bag from the store or do you use real chocolate?  Do you use water or milk? How do you like to make your hot chocolate?

• C

Everyday hot chocolate I mix cocoa powder and granulated sugar in the cup until the inevitable lumps in the cocoa powder are broken up,  Then I dribble in enough boiling water to make a smooth paste after which I pour in more hot water whilst steadily stirring.  This is the best way to prevent lumps.  Finally, I add a little vanilla extract and/or nutmeg or cardamom because I like the way it takes the edge off the bitter and means I can use less sugar.  When I want something more luxurious I make up the "paste" with whipping cream, about a third of the cup or mug used and sometimes I add a slug of something stronger such as brandy, rum or kirchwasser. The secret is to use good cocoa powder.  I usually buy Callebaut but right now I'm working my way through a Van Houten Full-Bodied Warm Brown Cocoa Powder (22-24% cocoa butter) which is very rich.  It's a good job I still have a fairly high metabolism because today has definitely been a hot chocolate kind of a day!

If I used it I would make it with hot milk/water equal amounts I think.

with water milk and sugar

Use mix with milk.

2 cups whole milk, 2 cups water, 7 tbsp sugar, 8 tbsp good unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 pinches of salt, 1 tbsp espresso powder + optional 1 tsp of flavoring extract. Choices: vanilla, rum, raspberry, peppermint, hazelnut. Just whisk this smooth in a pot until it's steamy.

• IvaB

Honestly,I never felt a need to make a big deal out of hot chocolate.I like it,but I find myself unwilling to go through a whole bunch of work for it.I use a packaged mix,and add marsh mellows,if I have them.Desire satisfied.

cocoa powder, maple syrup and coconut milk

• denise

Cocoa powder, sugar, hot milk.

Ingredients

2 ounces peppermint schnapps

6 ounces hot chocolate (or amount needed to fill)

Garnish: ​whipped cream

Garnish: chocolate sprinkles or shaved chocolate

Steps to Make It

Gather the ingredients.

Pour the schnapps into a warm mug or Irish coffee glass.

Fill with hot chocolate.

Stir well.

Optionally, top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles or shaved chocolate.

Serve and enjoy!

• GFH

I use homemade chocolate syrup, which I add to a cup of hot milk