What wires connect to light fixture ?

I am in the process of changing one of my light fixtures however the fixture does not have black and white wires, they are clear. One says 450v and one says 1.5u. My question is which one is correct for the black wire and which for the white? Thanks 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

To find the "hot" wire, get a neon tester at the big box store. Hook one lead to the ground (touch it to the metal box) and test each wire until the neon bulb glows. It sound like someone has re-used wire from another application as 450v and 1.5u does not apply here.If the junction box is not grounded, hold one neon tester lead in your hand while testing. It will then glow faintly when you find a hot wire.

• 8 months ago

Light fixtures don't normally require that extra safety ground wire because they are out of reach from the floor. So, they don't require colored coded wire hookups. The coding on the wires are probably from the wiring manufacturing processing to determine it's maximum capability. But if in doubt, call an electrician for piece of mind.

• 8 months ago

usually, the red or black wire is the hot lead and is connected to the similarly colored one. if you've an old style fixture with no leads, the hot lead goes to the center of the bulb. white is the neutral and goes to outside of the bulb

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The only time I have seen clear wires is for lamps that hang by a chain from above, where the wire is threaded almost invisibly through the chain. In that case the wiring will be number 18 gauge, suitable for no more than 7 amps, and one of the wires will be "indicated" as the grounded or "neutral" wire that corresponds to the white wiring from the house circuits.

The "indicated" wire will either have silver-colored (rather than copper-colored) strands, or the insulation for that wire will have a "rib" on the outside that you can feel. Perhaps both indicators will be in use.

This kind of knowledge is some of the obscure stuff that electricians are supposed to know, but that most other people are unaware of.

The "450v" mark represents the maximum voltage that the wire's insulation can withstand. It's like when a climbing rope says "3700 pounds" without any requirement that you weigh that much.

I have no idea what 1.5u means.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Polarity doesn't matter for most light fixtures.

450volts IS NOT normal household circuits in the US or most of Eurpoe.

• roger
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The    "clear"  wire  should  have one  copper  wire and one   tinned (silver)  wire. the  copper goes to   hot -- the   silver (tinned)  goes to   neutral..  If you have   a  VOM then check  for  continuity between the  center tab of your  light  socket and one of your  clear  wires.  the   center tab of the  fixture  should  go to hot.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Light bulbs don't care which wire you use as black & which is white...though that does not sound like proper wiring. Clear wires are normally SPEAKER WIRES.  Not house wiring.  You don't change it because somebody has already "mucked up the wiring by using the wrong gauge of wiring.  Pay for an electrician to do it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.