Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

How do I tell my girlfriend I cheated on her?

I cheated on my girlfriend with my best friend but I don't know how to tell her? Is there a way to tell her that might soften the blow, she's really insecure and I've been her first for everything. I do love her and I still want to be with her, this was just a one time thing. For context, I got super drunk with a few friends, and then at the end of the night I went up to my best friends room to share a bed with her because we've been best friends for about ten years so obviously we are the closest and have shared a bed before. I was so drunk and I don't remember exactly how it started but we had sex in her bed and then in the shower. I know that this was a drunken one time thing, but how do I tell my girlfriend that?

• Teal
    Favorite Answer

There is no easy way to tell her. If your priority is to minimize your own guilt and embarrassment, then cut to the chase and break up. She never has to know why you really ended it. But if you genuinely want to take responsibility and do the work to fix things, then the first thing you need to do is cut ties with your friend completely. Do this before you talk to her. Show your girlfriend you are serious about earning her trust back and that this person won't be a problem. Then you need to tell her the truth with no excuses or deflection, blaming the alcohol or claiming that it was a "one time thing" will mean nothing to her. Accept that she will be hurt and that she might break up with you. It's not about you and what you want. She is the only one who gets to decide if you can be forgiven and what that path forward looks like.

• Piero

Why tell? It will hurt her, and it won't make you feel any better. STFU!! You are old enough to be able to keep things in confidence. Only the immature tell everything they know.

Because you saw fit to do this with a friend there's probably no way your girlfriend won't hear about it eventually. So just tell her knowing that she'll likely break up with you. Better to confess and get it over with than to wait for her to confront you about it.

Tell her what ya done and then, let her break up with ya and find someone who actually DESERVES to be in a bloody relationship with her! 

< Is there a way to tell her that might soften the blow >

No moron, there isn't.  This might be a time to  keep your mouth shut and live with your guilty conscience.

< to share a bed with her because we've been best friends for about ten years >

Yeah, because best friends do this all the time.

• k w

how dare you burden her with your guilt ! live with the shame or breakup.....

Tell her you did something stupid while drunk. When she asks what, tell her.

When she asks further questions, be honest with her. Don’t make excuses. You ****** up, and if she’s done with you she’s done with you.

Face the music.