Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 10 months ago

Should the NFL have a playoff committee that votes or picks the playoff teams?

This could keep whoever “wins” the NFC East with a losing record out of the playoffs and give that spot to a 9-7 or 10-6 team that would otherwise miss the playoffs. 

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

You mean like college bowls? That system is horrible.

• 10 months ago

No.  Win your division and you can avoid all that.  9-7 and 10-6 teams usually have bad losses that hold them back in the end. Hell, weren't the Patriots 11-5 in a season and MISSED the playoffs because Miami beat them out in the division via tiebreaker??  That's just too bad.  Hell, Seattle and Carolina won their divisions with LOSING RECORDS!!!!  And still won at least one playoff game (the Seahawks -- 7-9 -- beat the 11-5 Saints that year!!  If you're the Saints, I don't give a rat's behind that they had to go on the road!!  They're the better team, right?!  Show it on the field!!)!! I mean, if we start introducing a committee to disqualify a weak division winner and replace it with a team that had a better record than it, that defeats the purpose of having divisions in the first place.  It would almost feel like college football when they had the BCS.  Too many unnecessary controversies.  Leave it alone, the system doesn't need any fixing.  If you deserve playoffs, you win your respective division or if you don't, win as many games as you can to get a wild card.  Fail, and see ya next September.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

I've never understood the argument that it's better to have a 10-6 team in the play offs than the rightful winner of a division.

What is the point of having divisions if you don't have to win them?  I happen to like having divisions, it makes things much more interesting than just picking every team with the top record.

And I actually think the idea of 8-8 or 7-9 team cracking the playoffs would be pretty cool.

If a 10-6 is so great they should win their division or at least win a wildcard spot and they won't have to worry about it

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

No.  Committees always become corrupt.  It's like when the democrat committee gave the election to Hillary in 2016.  Then she got slaughtered by Trump.  Bernie would have won.  The same thing is happening now. Biden is going to be the nominee and he's an idiot.  I'd hate to see the same type of thing happen with football.  The sport has enough problems.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • David
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

That idea is both terrible AND ridiculous.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

No way................

• 10 months ago

Yeah like the controversial NCAA college committee ? Nah

They should go to an NBA Like conference system 

• Bob
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

No, that idea is at best silly and at worst it's stupid, and it will never happen.

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

No.  It kind of makes the regular season pointless.  You could win your division, and still miss the playoffs.  Occasionally, there are teams with bad records that win their division, but that's an exception, not the rule.  Generally a division winner will finish above .500. 

• 10 months ago

No, they should not.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.