Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Should I Get a Second Cat?

Long story short, I already have a cat. I got him when he was 2 months old and now he's over a year old. He's a siamese x maine coon mix and he's a big love bug. He's very sweet and our dogs get along with him but they don't really "love" him. He tries to play with them but they ignore him. Both my family and I give him lots of attention but I can tell he's lonely and bored. Would it be a good idea to get a second cat for him so he can have a buddy? Should I get a kitten or a cat around his age? 

There's no guarantee that your cat will like having another cat around, or play with it, never mind 'love' another cat.

Some cats, in fact, strongly resent having another cat in the house. If the second cat is a kitten and the opposite gender, the chances are better that things will go well.

• Sam

If you do, it would be best to get a kitten and let your cat nurture it. 

That's what I did and my 2 year old male became maternal.  

Source(s): Two cats are almost as easy as taking care of one cat. Mine use the same litter box and eat the same food. They play and sleep together.
  • Sandy

my rules is to always get 2 of a pet, so they have somebody to play with when you're not around. so yes get another cat. yours sounds like it has a chill personality so a kitten or one its own age is fine. just make sure it has a nice temperament too.