Monica asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 months ago

Can a gluten free diet help depression?

I have been feeling depressed for years and I have previously been diagnosed with gluten intolerance. I used to be on a gluten free diet and I started feeling depressed 2 years after comming off my gluten free diet. If I go on my gluten free diet again, could that help me feel better?

Yes

Try a keto diet

Google says (so take this with a grain of salt) that gluten intolerance can in some cases cause depression. 

I say go for it. Even if it doesn't improve your depression you will feel better physically if you avoid something your body doesn't agree with. 

And while you are at it, eat a healthy diet overall. That can help depression. 

Also something else that I always like to add is get your vitamin d levels checked. A vitamin d deficiency is linked to depression and it is a common deficiency. I got my levels tested and I was very deficient. Started supplementing and shortly after I started to feel better. I wouldn't say it was causing my depression but it definitely seemed to worsen it.

yes.. especially if you really believe so.. Gluten free diet can help with depression the same way that owning a new pair of shoes, buying a new sport car or finding a new religion would..

Sigmund Freud often talked about oral pleasure in early childhood development and how it effects the personality in children - it is lengthy maze of ideas, however for example, ppl often say that certain person was breast-fed for too long or never breast-fed at all that a child becomes a psychopath.. there is undeniable relationship between food and happiness, and i do not have to prove it to you - because ppl often call the junk food that we generally love (burgers, pizzas and fries etc..) "Comfort Food".. and for a good reason, they do comfort a lot of people..

"you could be sad before you enter a burger place, you could be sad when you leave the burger place.. but while you eat a burger, life couldn't be happier" - Gabriel Iglasias

eating something you love, doing something you love, being with someone you love and thinking about something you love - they often help with depression.. one of the main features of clinical depression (the real mental illness and not 'oh i spilled my last can of coke' type of depression) is anhedonia.. anhedonia is losing the ability to find pleasure or feel pleasure; which is why it is the job of Psychiatrists and Psychologist to re-introduce pleasure back into ppl with depression.. and we often recommend being around ppl we love, and eating the food we all love..

`

Gluten free diet is not my thing, but if it works for you.. who is to deny it?..

Source(s): i had treated many patients with mood disorders, such as Major Depression Disorder MDD.. i am not an MD but i am an MBBS..
  • Andy C

No doctor diagnosed you with gluten intolerance unless you have celiac disease, which you obviously don't.

I am going to attempt to explain why the gluten free diet helped your depression. Actually, it wasn't helping your depression, but rather not creating or exacerbating your depression.

Let me guess, gluten free meant nearly bread free, right? And whole grains and other foods?

People who think that they are gluten intolerant do so bc by following a gluten free diet, they are typically (and unknowingly) cutting out the cause of the gut distress: excessive amounts of fructose w/o fiber to slow it down.

In short, you cut out a lot of added sugars and added sugars feed the wrong gut bacteria (flora), causing gas, bloating, cramps and loose stool.

Here's a list of what fructose is doing to your liver and body:

Obesity

Diabetes II

Most heart disease

Dementia

Brain fog

Some Alzheimer's

Fructose is addictive and addiction nearly always ends in depression.

Source(s): You seriously should read "The Hacking of the American Mind" by Dr. Robert Lustig M.D, M.S.A

Hi Monica, although your body is probably now being bombarded with all types of additives it's not used to it cannot cause depression. However, before stressing yourself out anymore I would go back to see your GP/Doctor rather than attempting to get any real good advice from a bunch of quacks like me!

• kelvin

no it will not.....