why is big toe nail turning dark colored?

If it's your toenail, it's fungus- unless you smashed your toe and don't remember.  Get a bottle of tea tree oil and put one drop on every day.  Works like a champ.

Could be fungus under the nail, or a bad bruise - anyone tread on your foot recently? There's an over the counter treatment for fungus.

• CB

Shoe too small would be my first guess  - unless you have other health issues. 

Have you hiked or walked a lot lately? 

My feet have spread and lengthened with age and my big toe hits the front of the tennis shoe (doesn't hurt can't really tell). After a long walk or hike it was apparent there was some trauma to the toenail but zero pain - then it turns blue/black - takes months to fall off. 

This has happened twice or three times in the last several years and yes I have been changing shoe sizes and configurations but always one size too late. 

• Snoopy

Gangrene or sepsis? Are you diabetic? 

Hospital.