Does turning a television on/off damage it?

Recently I have been in an argument with my my father as he refuses to turn off the TV when he’s finished with it. This includes when he knows he won’t be able to return to the program he’s watching for over an hour. I tried explaining to him that it’s a waste of electricity, to which he argued that turning a machine on or off can cause damage to the machine over time. I decided to turn to the internet as my dad also believes that the reason our skybox broke was because hackers hacked into it. He also threw up his hands and claimed his email had been hacked when he forgot his password: he is not a tech-savvy man. 

I have an RCA digital I bought in 2003.

Here it is 2020 and the thing has never been turned off except when all the power has gone out.

Back when the TV was a tube type... and a CRT TV even if it's solid state the picture IS A tube.. Turning it off and on makes the tubes heat up and then cool down which took life out of the machine.

Even with all solid state/ digital screen TVs have capacitors that will expand and contract through heating up and cooling due to being turned on and off.

Most times what cause a capacitor to fail is due to metal fatigue due to a constant expanding and contracting. The capacitor just bursts open.

Capacitor failure is 9 times out of 10 what causes a TV to fail/quit naturally.

I don't think it does. Leaving it on as far as my grandpa did to my Samsung has caused the picture to go out in it. 

We turn out TVs off when we finish watching.  The main set goes to stand-by which we leave on 24/7.   The small TV in the office here is turned off completely.   Right now we had a 'no signal' come up this morning (for no obvious reason - calm, if frosty weather).  We rebooted the main set. but the small one in here which is linked to the main TV/digibox, refuses to  show anything other than No Signal.  FRUSTRATING!!

Hold him down till he hollers "UNCLE" and then he'll turn it off. 

It may read brutal, but that's what my friend does, and it works!

No it doesn’t, Ive had my for 7 years and still works like the day I purchased it

Easy answer; Take the TV away from him and give him a few books. I have never wore out a TV turning it off and on and I've been watching TV since 1955. I've seen old waxed capacitors go dry and short and I've seen electrolytic capacitors explode.Those failures never happen while the appliance is turned off. While it is possible to wear anything out by using it, let's see what wears out first, the man or the machine.

All electronic devices Can suffer failures from normal on/off cycling,

but Very Few Ever Do, so he really should shut it off.

The other problems are his own to address.

Sounds like a typical run of the mill boomer

well powering on a tv will create a surge of electrical current which puts more of a load on the electronic components but depending on the tv the surge might be equal to when the tv is constantly on. Not sure arguing with your dad is a good thing when he buys the tvs and the electricity and the house he is in with his own money.

• Rick B

No, of course it does not damage a machine to turn it off and on.