Was I wrong to walk away from this job interview?

I replied to an ad that said this job was paying $16.50 an hour, but during the interview the guy said I'd be starting at $12.45 an hour and that $16.50 was what I "could" be making in a year if my performance reviews are good.  To me it seemed dishonest and I didn't want to be involved with a company that'd trick someone like that, so I walked away.

Now I have people telling me that it was not dishonest and that I should not expect such a rate being a new person with no experience walking in the door.  But the only reason I had that expectation was because they set it.

Was I wrong?

Favorite Answer

It depends on how the bigger offer was made.  If it was an ad in Craigslist that said 'UP TO $16.50/hr' then it's not a lie.  Someone with more experience might get that.

OTOH I've been made promises by managers hiring me many times, which were broken later.  'You COULD be making that in a year,' means you'll have to wait a year to find out.  You'll have to trust them for a year.  If you get a 50 cent raise, or no raise, they can say 'Well we never PROMISED you'd make $16.50/hr'.

It's hard to find good people today.  It's also much easier to negotiate a little higher pay starting out than to ask them for it later.

(I had a boss tell me once, at review time: "I asked personnel how big of a raise I could give you.  They said four percent.  So I wrote you a four percent review.  I'd been expecting more.  But how can you protest a small raise when your whole review was written to match the raise they wanted to give you?)

So yeah, I can't say you did the right or wrong thing.  But you did just what I would have done! 

• Kid Mohawk

I'm not even going to bother to reply, because this answer is incredibly solid.  There's nothing else to be added really.

They said $16.50, so it should be that. Where I am from $12.45 is less than minimum wage, so I would be happy to walk away from that kind of offer if it was offered to me.

• Carmen

Every action has a reaction so it’s not a matter of you being wrong to leave because you felt betrayed it’s more of showing a little more patience and getting in the door a lot of jobs don’t start at almost $13 a hour or easy to get in on so though they wasn’t more clear on when the $16 would start you could of just addressed it as you did got in and see if they are a dishonest company or just need to learn to say what they mean we live and learn wisdom is knowledge pray for a another job opportunity and before you go to interview asl more specific questions. 

• What you could be making and what their base pay rate is are different things. Read the job advertisement more carefully next time. If it says what you could be making, ask them what the starting pay is.They're not being dishonest, it's a way to get you in the door. If you felt it was dishonest you did the right thing.

If you have the skills and experience then you could be making more then that, or you can try negotiating for more money. Depending on the job you're applying for you shouldn't expect to get payed that much at the start. I make about that much at my job after being there for 41/2 years. I started out at $12.00 per hr.

You were right. It doesn't matter what a "starting salary" usually is. They advertised paying you $16.50 an hour. They can't change it at the interview hoping that you are desperate enough or not smart enough, that you still take the job. Then you still could be not making $16.50 an hour after a year because they said you could be, not "you will be". If they will lie about that, they will lie or do other things hoping you'll overlook these things too. They showed you what kind of company they are, and what it will be like to work for them, at the outset. Be glad you know now. I would have left, thinking something was wrong with them for expecting me to swallow that whole.

I'm confident that you looked carefully at the ad, and concluded that they were going to pay $16.50 upon hire, or you wouldn't have wasted your time.

Did the advertisement say that the starting rate was $16.50?

• Judith

If I didn't have better prospects I wouldn't have walked away.  Not many companies would offer such an increase in pay after only one year.  I would have completed the interview and, if offered a job, I would have taken it unless I had a better offer which would meet or exceed the wage I'd receive within a year.

I guess there is no right or wrong.  You have to do what you have to do.  Not really a matter of right or wrong.

$12.45 is a pretty big difference in pay than $16.50. If it’s a full time gig, that’s $162 per week difference. If they advertised the job as $16.50 then that’s what they should pay. They manipulated the posting to draw attention and applicants and it backfired on them. They were shady and dishonest with their posting. And don’t ever feel bad about turning an employer down. There’s a misconception that people should value their employer. But these are business dealings. You exchange your time and effort for monetary gains. You’re a source of production for them and all they should be is a source of compensation for you. Nothing more. Never feel bad for not making a deal that’s not in your favor. And never work for an employer who can’t, at minimum, be honest with potential employees. They must not have a good management team if they have to trick you into applying for the job. Better just be content knowing you walked away from a bad team.

Newbies don't earn what experienced, competent and trusted  staff earn. Experienced staff are more valuable to the business that is why they get paid more. 

This is how the world works and In my opinion yes you were wrong. 

• Creature1 month agoReport

I think the point of the story went over your head lol He’s not claiming new employees should be paid as much as tenured employees. He’s saying they weren’t honest in the job posting about the pay rate. No employer does what this employer did. He was in the right. And you’re an idiot. 

You were right to walk away. You should also report the firm for false advertising wherever they placed the advert.