Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 months ago

What's your favorite book and why?

I also have too many to name. Many times it's the one I just read. I love a British psychological author named Ruth Rendell/aka Barbara Vine and my favorites by her are The Lake of Darkness and Thirteen Steps Down. I love Lee Child, Stephen King Anne Tyler, Margaret Millar, Cain, Steinbeck, Vincent Bugliosi, and hundreds of others.

1984

just shocking prose 

oh yes 

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest because it shows that truth can be very subjective and it was the first book that I saw themes and motifs as being as valuable as any character in the book.

I don't have one because there is so much great literature but I admire Moby Dick because it is a good yarn involving a maniacal captain obsessed with getting revenge on a white whale. I also like anything by Dostoevsky but particularly the Brothers Karamazov because of the philosophical ideas about life and death. Crime and Punishment is also a great book because of how the killer traps himself by constantly talking to the investigator of the case I loved Island in the stream by Hemingway again because it involves the sea and fishing and a shark attack.

• User

The Hobbit

love the detailed "illustration" (how the author does such a good job using words to illustrate the scenes)

love the depth of background (there's so much of history and language and culture that it hinted at but not detailed at length)

there are too many to name.

• GA41

Quo Vadis is one of my favorites. It is beautifully written and gives a glimpse of Roman History. It is also a Spiritual book, and it is a beautiful love Story. The book's author won a Nobel Prize for literature.

the Outsiders. Changed the way I viewed the world 

Wonder because it reminds me of home

Creepy Uncle Joe.  It's about Joe Biden and tells a lot of stories about this moron that you don't get from the media.  He's basically a perverse, senile, mumbling fool who has a good chance of becoming President.  It's very frightening.