Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 8 months ago

What kind of foot support do I need?

I did the arch test (wet foot on cardboard) but my arch seems to be somewhere between normal and high. My everyday foot pain is on every part of my foot, and once a week I have a really bad day where it sends sharp pains all the way up through my calves and thighs (a few times even to my hip at which point I wont even both to try walking and I missed work because of it once)

If I wear slip on arch pads, i can tell that they barely even touch the ground when i walk because i dont feel the pressure hitting my foot which makes me think I have high arches, but my foot doesnt seem to look like any pictures of high arch feet. 

Attachment image

1 Answer

  • 8 months ago need to seek a doctor at a local clinic (GP or family doctor), because you seem to be describing sciatica..

    but back to your question for a moment; the higher the arch the better!!.. doctors perform the foot-arch-test F.A.T. (i simply call it, walking-with-wet-feet test) to diagnose a flatfoot issue (aka. Talipes Planus, platypodia) which is a deformity of the foot characterized by the flattening of the longitudinal arch and rarely the transverse arch - as appose to Cavus Foot which is a condition in which the foot has a very high arch..

    having high arches on your foot is not necessarily a bad thing (unlike Flatfoot), because the nerves and main blood vessels run over the arch.. if you have flatfoot, you are basically stepping on your nerves and on your arteries (and blocking them) which can make standing and walking very painful and intolerable.. however, both Flatfoot and Cavus-foot can cause Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendonitis (inflammation and pain at the bottom of the foot (the plantar), inflammation and pain at the back of the foot (where the poisonous arrow killed Achilles)) - Achilles was one of those mythical Greek kings/warriors who was invincible because his mother had dipped him into the river Styx when he was a small baby.. but while drunk, he told everyone that his mother was holding the back of his feet, so the back of his feet was spared from any magical invincibility that the rest of his body had.. of which his rivals very much used that intel to kill him..

    anyway.. Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendonitis should improve with daily stretching.. simply grab your toes and pull the toes gently towards your chest, and hold them in that position for few seconds.. hold it for few seconds in the first week, a minute in the second week, 2 minutes in the next.. etc.. do not over-do them, and if you are in pain, then stop..

    however, there are better techniques to improve the pain, but requires expertise from a physiotherapist, a physical therapist or an occupational therapist who may require a referral from a medical doctor..

    other things that you can do at home, is RICE.. Rest: no dancing, no climbing a mountain, and no running for a while.. Ice: a bag or a bottle of frozen water applied over the areas of pain.. Compression: get a Stretch or a Crepe bandage from a pharmacy, wrap it around your foot with enough compression to feel the pressure, but not too tight that would cut the blood circulation to your toes turning them white or blue.. and Elevation: put your feet on 2-3 pillows higher when you go to sleep or lay on a sofa watching TV.. and btw, when there is an injury during a football or a basketball game, paramedics apply RICE immediately whether it is a simple sprain  or a bone fracture..other things include, weight reduction (such pain is made worse by body weight), NSAIDs pain killers (insist on non-opioid pain killers) such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or Diclofenac Sodium (voltaran).. they are usually sold in pharmacies without doctors prescription but they have a nasty habit of causing acute gastritis, so never take them with alcohol or with an empty stomach, and never take NSAIDs if you have had gastritis or stomach ulcers..

    and finally, what kind of paddings or shoe-wear?.. simply wear comfortable tennis shoes.. now there are some specialized foot wear for Flatfoot and Cavus-foot, but again, it falls under the specialty of Orthopaedics and physical/occupational therapy departments, that may require doctors' referral..there are special socks or foot wear sold on eBay that basically have a tether from the toes to the shins, to pull the toes upwards similar to the stretching exercise that i have mentioned earlier.. but i do not recommend those, just yet..

    form the picture, i cannot determine whether you have Flatfoot or Cavus Foot.. you need to ask a teenager to do the foot-arch-test together.. if the shape of the bottom of your feet is about the same as the teenager's, then you do not have flatfoot..

    (please see to photo below)

    unfortunately, the pain caused by Flatfoot or Cavus Foot, rarely radiate (spread) to above the knee.. very rare.. i am not fully convinced that the pain is caused by them..from the description of the pain, you seen to be describing Sciatica (or Sciatic pain), it is basically pain that shoots down from the back or from the back of the hip(s) to lower parts of the leg(s) from the back, and sometimes foot/feet.. sometimes the pain is electrifying, sometimes the pain is accompanied by weakness and loss of sensation..

    Sciatica may indicate a problem in the spine or in the hip where the Sciatic nerve runs.. to test for Sciatica at home, you will need a second person to perform the test on you (one person may not work).. and follow the video below..

    Youtube thumbnail

    the pain is aggravated with the test, then this is Sciatica and you need to see a doctor at a local clinic (GP or Family doctor) in an early appointment - who may refer you to an Orthopaedics doctor/surgeon - but only if and when needed..

    similarly, if you do have Plantar Fasciitis and/or Achilles Tendonitis that is not resolving nor improving, you need to see a GP or a Family doctor who may decide to refer you to a Podiatrist or to a physiotherapist/physical therapist/occupation therapist.. such people may offer some customized shoe-wear tailored to your exact needs, in addition to other methods of therapy, like Shortwave therapy, infra-red therapy and proper ways to perform stretch and strengthening exercises..all the best..

    Attachment image
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.