Jasmine asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Two dogs not getting along?

So I just adopted a new dog today, a 11months old Beagle (female) and my old/resident dog at home (male, 9 year old Silky Terrier), is not getting along with her. I let them both go on a long walk on a neutral ground for their first encounter, my mom was walking the new dog while I was walking my old dog. My dog was wagging his tail at first but started growling a tried to bite the Beagle after getting up close. Fyi, I’ve brought my dog to many dog social events and he has NEVER had a problem with any other dog, no matter the gender/size/age. He loves playing with other dogs so I suspect that he might just be jealous? He starts barking when we get close to the new dog but when we are all with him and the new dog is left alone he seems fine. The Beagle is incredibly docile and friendly, shes even a little afraid of my terrier, theyre currently in a different location in the house but this won’t work long term. How do I get them to start getting along? Is there anything I can do to help?

-they both have separate belongings eg dog bowls, toys etc.

-both not neutered/spayed, but I’ll get the beagle neutered soon. Or should I be neutering my terrier instead? 

Favorite Answer

I agree with Lorraine & Verulam.  Dogs DO NOT feel or experience jealousy.  That is too complex, for dogs.  Dogs can be territorial, can be prone to "resource guarding"=> you or household toys, or even a special spot on the couch.  

I have also done fostering of dogs & it takes a few days for the rules & pack hierarchy to get "ironed out".  I would primarily correct the Beagle or correct both EQUALLY =for any fighting or "dust-ups". Never show favoritism to the newbie.  That would undermine your Terrier's standing - if he continues to be, or is in fact..... the top dog.  You largely need to let them work it out, as long as there is no "bloodshed".Older dogs, are very quick to put youngsters or "invading interlopers" IN THEIR PLACE and I would suspect he is laying down some immediate rules (- like he is TOP DOG) & telling the puppy to stay OUT OF HIS FACE, or off his back (literally).  I would keep introducing them on leash & on neutral ground but PICK UP the pace rather than encourage nose-sniffing, for the beginning of your walks.  I like the idea V put forth to exchange leashes & change over (about halfway through) - who is walking which dog.  It may not be necessary, but in my trying to introduce new gerbils (who DO NOT take well to a replacement gerbil - when ones dies) I also changed out /swapped their bedding back & forth.  In this case, since your terrier may LOVE his bed, I'd use a small hand towel & have each dog sleep with one (or place one) - where they sleep (even if you are providing a bed that has no NEED for it) - just so you can have each dog place some scent on a towel of itself - then place the towel (after 2 days) in the opposite dog's sleeping area/bed.  And then just reverse the procedure each day - until you feel they are adjusted or making major progress.

I doubt it will take more than a week, if that long, for them to adjust.  Hang in there!

And get her SPAYED -ASAP.  She is at an age to go into heat ANY MINUTE!  She should have been done BEFORE being brought in.

You do not realize that this new dog has INVADED the home dogs territory!!!!. That is reason enough. Try researching things about bringing in a new dog into the household. The do's & don'ts. Proper ways to introduce dogs. How to avoid conflicts.

getting both of them neuter will help a lot.

Where did you adopt from that did not have them already neutered? That is a big thing about adopting, every dog gets spayed/neutered.

With both dogs having testosterone surging through their systems, they will fight. Aggression & testosterone go hand in hand.

• Maxi

You brought it home today, did the right thing in lead walking and I suggest you do more of that as lead walking builds pack mentality, just like any 'new' pet they need tine to fit in and resident pets need time to adjust....and they will not do that by separating them to different parts of the house, once walked ( to deplete their excess energy) leave their leads on ( trailing) so you can quickly step on the lead and have control...in so far as a barking dog, that is bad behaviour, so correct that bad behaviour.

A dog that plays with other dogs outside is very different to having to share it space inside, dogs don't 'share' they possess, so space, beds, toys, food, people which 'tells' the other dog they are lower in the pack...so remove things like toys which means less possession, make sure the new dog has it own sleeping place/bed or even crate with door clipped open where it can be and feel safe

• Jasmine1 month agoReport

My terrier seems to understand that the beagle’s bowl is off limits and did not eat her food, but the beagle kept drinking from the terrier’s water bowl even though I have told and showed her many times which is her bowl. Also, she started barking at my terrier last night and they got into a fight. 

• Jojo

H`es more than likely just letting the new female know that HE is the boss at the moment, and as you state that the female is incredibly docile, this is unlikely to change in the future. If she is not answering back and is accepting his bossiness then I would just allow them together under supervision while you or your mum are there to make sure the terrier does not get TOO over bossy with her, By stepping in if necessary  to supervise, until you are certain that they have bonded. It may take a few days or a few weeks for the two dogs to accept their role with each other, but I feel confident they will. 

Do get the female spayed ASAP as the male WILL mate with her if she comes in heat.

By the way, the male  is NOT jealous, He just wants it known that HE is the top dog over the newbie.

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years. UK.
    • Jasmine1 month agoReport

Update: the beagle started barking back and snapping back at my terrier last night :( but atm they are able to exist in one location of the house without too much “arguments”, I tie the beagle down on a leash and let my terrier run around and sniff her

I don't think you need to neuter the male AT ALL.   But yes,  you do need to spay the female Beagle.   I honestly can't see this being a long term problem tbh.   I take foster dogs in all the time and the first couple of days can be a little tricky sometimes.   Just gone through the situation myself bringing my latest b*tch into the house with a resident male and it took me 36 hours to get them fully together as she'd been undersocialised.   

Next time you go out even walking round the garden with them on leads,  swap dogs between you and your mum.   Pick up all toys / bones and items he could get guarding of as well. 

Take it slowly but I really can't see this problem lasting long. 

Well for sure, the female Beagle needs to be spayed, and soon before this situation turns into something entirely different!   And your terrier will sure 'get along' with her if she does come into season.   So book that in asap.  Once done, I seriously doubt it will be necessary to put him through castration!   I'd certainly not leave her entire even if you do castrate him - castrated males are still turned on by a b itch in season and have been known to mount and even tie with one in standing heat.  The only difference is he can't sire puppies.

This is NOT jealousy.   Unlike humans, dogs don't have this emotion which all too often people think is what's going on.  Fact is he may well be fine with other dogs OFF HIS TERRITORY.   But having this incomer arrive under his roof is not what he wants.  He's a terrier after all although usually there's conflict between two male terriers, he's clearly not realised she's female - yet!

I think you need to deal with what's going on by correcting her if she gets too much for him - once he sees you taking charge (of her behaviour), with luck he may settle down with his new companion.   This will take time and for now, you can't leave them alone together but hopefully this won't last.   The only alternative is to return her to where she came from, so peace can return to your household.   But give it a few days before you have to make that decision.

Add -  JJ, don't you think it's possible he's so 'upset' by having to deal with another dog on 'his' property, that he's not necessarily stopped to work out what gender this intruder is, just that she is an intruder?   Given she's more than a puppy-puppy now, so should be giving off female scents.

• Jasmine1 month agoReport

Thanks for your answer but right now the beagle has started fighting back by barking and charging towards the terrier which caused a lil fight. (No injuries as I pulled them apart in time), should I continue separating them at home first? My terrier doesn’t bother her when she’s on a leash/in a cage

• Angel

It could be jealousy and it could be a matter of the puppy has way too much energy and the older dog doesn’t want to deal with it. Sometimes it takes a few days for the resident dog to acclimate to the new dog, especially puppies.

My 9 year old beagle cross was so drop dead jealous over the little jack russel puppy she hid in her corner and hid all her toys and dishes too. It took a week before she stopped hiding, another week to accept the pup, however she got busted when I stepped out of the room the older dog snuggled in with the puppy and they both went to sleep. The older dog didn’t know I could see her so I finally figured it was jealousy.

Remember to give both dogs equal attention and try taking them outside in the yard to play, usually isn’t as territorial but be careful the pup doesn’t try and over power and hustle the older dog, your terrier may not like puppies because of their boundless energy and lack of personal boundaries, don’t leave the two of them alone until there’s no reaction between them.

• patty

both need to be desexed. Both may need basic training which u can do. sometimes young dogs can annoy older dogs as well. Could be jelous. Try and give the young dog attention when the other dog is not around. when they are together keep rewarding your older dog for good behaviour. sometimes the best advice u can get is an older vetenarian who has plenty of experience with badly bahaved dogs.